Missing Cobalt Historic Flask, Emerald Fells Point

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GaryRoss

Reaction score
I agree with the whole thing - unfortunately we had so much to deal with at the time that we packed things up not knowing that box was gone. These people were collectors of everything plus pack rats. This thief was very surgical and had to know Rich Green and his Grandfathers bottles - he left things of higher value because he was specifically a bottle digger "friend" and the suspect we know is not as sophisticated about other collectibles.

After one year we had an appraisel and discovered the bottles missing but it brought back a memory I had that there were fewer slip ware plates arranged in one box the day after the party 6/308 and I wondered if anything happened. What I had detected then was that there was stuff taken and it turned out to be the best bottles.
Then the next disapointment happened when we started to talk to our friends about "police" it turned out my one friend's kid had gotten into trouble and no one wanted any part of police - no one wanted them knocking on their doors. So to keep peace we had to just eat it for now - but I keep looking 2 years later and just got this Williamsburg news. If there is even old news that one of those bottles transacted in VA area we can clinch the case at least privately against the main suspect. We know who did it - we need some sort of smoking gun.
Getting the bottles back is a whole different story and we have to respect the circumstances - the best would be if we could buy them back - realistically I agree that many honest people would not even mention they have them. Strange things can happen though and it is a small world. Who can keep totally silent - maybe I will see them at York in a showcase!

GaryRoss

Reaction score
Plus imagine finding the bottles gone and having no pictures. It was about 3 months later that we found the pictures that I posted. We still have not found pictures of Rich Greens whole display that included the slip ware plates. So if we went to the police the next day after 6/3/06 - we had no pictures - just verbal descriptions.
On a positive note - I would not be going to all these bottle shows if this did not happen. It has made me into a much more serious bottle collector. So far I have aquired 4 historic flasks to try to make up for the gap - it will be years though until we can aquire a colored flask in the 6-8K range. The other thing is they are so rare to find and are more at the high end bottle auctions or traded in back rooms.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Just a side note....The lighthouse you mentioned, that was on the reverse side of the fells point flask. It isnt a light house, its the washinton monument that is in Blatimore. Figured I would throw that in there for accuracy. Sorry for your loss.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This is a really sad story. How low people can get is beyond my comprehension. I sincerely hope you find the culprit. I will take copies of the pictures with me when I migrate for the winter. This gang of honest people should all be helping you - that is a force bigger than the police world. Good Luck. RED Matthews

bamascavenger

Reaction score
Very sad indeed, probably a closet crack head and needed fast money? Is there a statue of limitations on arresting this person on grand theft or have you gotten a warrant already? The warrant will not expire. As for a dealer having them in their possesion would not make them a access to the fact. I do know that pawn shop dealers buy stolen goods and are not prosecuted, but they have guide lines they have to obey first before resale, they take a huge risk but at least they get the person selling items personal info. Have you thuoght about offering a reward for returned items no questions asked? Just a thought. good luck, god bless.

GaryRoss

Reaction score
Hi all - just got some details on the description of the Fells Point emerald green bottle. One of my friends remembered that it had a small crack - internal in the neck - probably does not extend to the lip, plus it has a ding somewhere so it was not totally mint or perfect. Still after all this time I have not seen another example with such rich color at the shows I have been to. There was only one person from Easton who dug a sick light olive one and he wanted $6,000 for it last I knew. Baltodigger thanks for the correction about the Washington Monument. I will most likely be at the Baltimore show looking again. Still have to get down to Williamsburg to look in as many shops as I can also there is a town near Williamsburg with alot of shops. If I can just find one piece down there it clinches our case.

Bottleman

Reaction score
At Shrupps Grove there was a digger from Danville PA who showed me the first colored (Olive) Fells Point with Lighthouse and Boat 1/2 pint I have seen since our Emerald Green one was stolen. He dug it and it is sick so he is talking about having it tumbled. I asked him about price and he said $3-4k. I do not have his contact info.

I am sorry for your loss. I personally know the guy from Danville that had the Fells Point and he just sold it on ebay about a month ago. He did want to get it tumbled but was to scared of it being damaged so he sold it stained. I believe it only brought somewhere over a thousand but I could be wrong. I will be sure to keep an eye out for your missing bottles though.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp