Mitsuya Cider

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mudlani

Reaction score
Mitsuya Cider bottle. Japanese, turn mold, 1911-1930s. This was the most popular soft drink in Japan (apparently it tastes something like Sprite + Ginger Ale), and is still going. Apparently these are as likely to be found in Chinese as Japanese immigrant sites. I found this in Stanley Park in Vancouver, which once had a small colony of Chinese squatters.
Mitsuya cider bottle.jpg
Mitsuya cider bottle base.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I always wondered what these were, I'm pretty sure I have one with the same embossing. I always assumed it was a beer or liquor since the form is so similar to the Wing Lee Wai bottles.

Mudlani

Reaction score
I found a match and info on the sha.org/bottle site. The one they reference came from an archaeological dig at a Chinese labour camp at a cannery in British Columbia. The only other one I found was on the Museum of Vancouver. They also have this similar one that they label "Brewery Regs. Ltd. N.W.B.C Westminster bottle 1890s-1920s," which doesn't sound Asian to me. https://openmov.museumofvancouver.ca/node/77810

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I found a match and info on the sha.org/bottle site. The one they reference came from an archaeological dig at a Chinese labour camp at a cannery in British Columbia. The only other one I found was on the Museum of Vancouver. They also have this similar one that they label "Brewery Regs. Ltd. N.W.B.C Westminster bottle 1890s-1920s," which doesn't sound Asian to me. https://openmov.museumofvancouver.ca/node/77810
No idea what that "Brewery Regs" thing is all about, that bottle almost certainly wasn't made in New Westminster. Maybe some data entry error at some point? Regardless these types of bottles show up all the time in BC, I used to often buy them from dollar boxes because I liked the colours and crude style of manufacture.

Mudlani

Reaction score
No idea what that "Brewery Regs" thing is all about, that bottle almost certainly wasn't made in New Westminster. Maybe some data entry error at some point? Regardless these types of bottles show up all the time in BC, I used to often buy them from dollar boxes because I liked the colours and crude style of manufacture.
They have some nice bottles, but yeah, I thought some of their descriptions were suspect. A friend showed me a photo from the Egmont Museum, and there was one there too. Apparently they have a 10k collection of bottles from BC.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown