Mold defect, BB gun damage?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

timeandabottle

Reaction score
So this bottle has lost its spot on my shelf and I was getting ready to sell it when I realized I kept it because of the odd looking shoulder defect. That recessed circular ring is roughly the size of a dime and about 1/32” deep on the upper side and tapering to being flush on the lower side. In the center is a small circular rough spot and under magnification you can see there are no cracks but what looks like “flow lines” of the glass as it filled into the mold. This couldn’t be a mold gate on a shoulder could it? I doubt that but because everything is so smooth in the recess other than the “gate” that I’m stumped! Has anyone seen anything like this before?
IMG_5898.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5899.jpeg
    IMG_5899.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 52

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's damage caused by an impact to the shoulder. I see them sometimes on hutch sodas as well...usually see them on pretty solid bottles. I've heard them called a "shellout", but regardless, it's effectively a chip and is definitely damage.

timeandabottle

Reaction score
It's damage caused by an impact to the shoulder. I see them sometimes on hutch sodas as well...usually see them on pretty solid bottles. I've heard them called a "shellout", but regardless, it's effectively a chip and is definitely damage.
Thanks for the reply. Would that impact have taken place as the operator was removing the bottle from the mold while the glass was solidified but still warm enough for that to happen?
I just found this article while researching and although it is meant for the more modern bottle, I think the "principles" would apply to older bottles as well. I just read the shoulder defects section but scanning the table of contents, it looks interesting and probably worth the read to read it in its entirety.
https://emhartglass.com/sites/defau...60 - Container defect causes and remedies.pdf

nhpharm

Reaction score
No, I don't think so. It typically just occurred during the life of the bottle. I attached a photo of a bottle I have that has very similar damage.

Attachments

• vogel2.jpg
    vogel2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 41

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen