Moly-Pop - Collectable??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Halfempty

Reaction score
I found this when I lived in Virginia.
I recently tried to research it and I could only find one reference to it on an auction site.
They said it was "rare". I realize that just because something is rare does not mean that is has value.
Portsmouth Bottling Works started around 1931 and stayed open for about 20 years I think.
Would something like this be considered a collectable or is it just a neat looking soda bottle.

Moly-Pop 3.jpgMoly-Pop 2.jpgMoly-Pop 1.jpg

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
Definitely collectible, but as a machine made bottle. There are plenty of collectors for this type bottle and this looks like a great example. Not sure of the maker, possibly Glenshaw, but it doesn't quite match the illustration in my book.

Halfempty

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate you looking at it.
It has, City Bottling Wks, Portsmouth, VA. printed on the side of the bottle. From what I've looked up they were manufacturing bottles from 1931 to the early 50's.
Thanks again.

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I have one too, so I deem it to be collectible! LOL

The 2395 E is the 'mold number'; perhaps the glass company's numeric designation for this design. The G associated with that mold number indicates the glass maker = Graham Glass Company.
The "25" is usually assumed to be the date code. Mine also says 2395 EG 25. Perhaps all the Moly Pop bottles say that.

The 9.5 oz capacity is a bit unusual for a soda.

Halfempty

Reaction score
I have one too, so I deem it to be collectible! LOL

The 2395 E is the 'mold number'; perhaps the glass company's numeric designation for this design. The G associated with that mold number indicates the glass maker = Graham Glass Company.
The "25" is usually assumed to be the date code. Mine also says 2395 EG 25. Perhaps all the Moly Pop bottles say that.

The 9.5 oz capacity is a bit unusual for a soda.
Yes, I'm right there with you on that. It's definitely a collectible, at least in my mind.
That's interesting, especially about the 9.5 oz's.
Great information, I really appreciate it.

Jstorm

Reaction score
I found this when I lived in Virginia.
I recently tried to research it and I could only find one reference to it on an auction site.
They said it was "rare". I realize that just because something is rare does not mean that is has value.
Portsmouth Bottling Works started around 1931 and stayed open for about 20 years I think.
Would something like this be considered a collectable or is it just a neat looking soda bottle.

View attachment 234116View attachment 234117View attachment 234118
Thats cool!

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
I realize that just because something is rare does not mean that is has value.
This reminds me of when I was looking at some old coins in a coin shop's 25¢ box and asked the owner about one of the coins in it. He said:
That's a very rare coin, and the collectors of that type of coin are even more rare.

I think I have some bottles like that. LOL

Reactions: Len

Halfempty

Reaction score
This reminds me of when I was looking at some old coins in a coin shop's 25¢ box and asked the owner about one of the coins in it. He said:
That's a very rare coin, and the collectors of that type of coin are even more rare.

I think I have some bottles like that. LOL
Thanks bottle-o-pop<
That made me laugh, I can relate to that....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora