Monday Morning Mystery Mark: The Walton Ice Co., Elyria, OH

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Happy week before Xmas.
Speak-writing of Xmas, here is a mystery bottle mark with 'mas 'x'es', 'mas equis'; little 'x'es all over the place, nine of them. It is a 5-gallon bottle made for the Walton Ice Company of Elyria Ohio, 1920's or earlier, possibly 1915 or 1925, with a base mark that I have been unable to identify. Attached are images of the bottle and of the mark, highlighted using a red marker -- difficult because the mark is not much raised, and light refracting in the glass tends to shift the apparent locations of the ridges -- but the general idea is there.
The bottle is simple with just "THE WALTON ICE CO. ELYRIA OHIO" in the slug plate.
The Walton Ice Company, Elyria, Ohio, pattern, maker CCW, unknown date.jpg
The Walton Ice Company, Elyria, Ohio, base B, maker CCW, unknown date.jpg
The Walton Ice Company, Elyria, Ohio, base E, maker CCW, unknown date.jpg
The Walton Ice Company, Elyria, Ohio, base F, maker CCW, unknown date.jpg

The mark consists of three letters, C C W, which, oddly, have little 'x'es at all of the letter endpoints, the 'x'es on the ends of the larger C quite asymmetric, and the numeral "5".
Does anyone recognize this mark? Oher bottles with it?
Does anyone have other bottles made for the Walton Ice Company, and how are they marked?
In particular, does anyone have other 5-gallon bottles, of other water companies, with this mark?
Are the 'x'es really a part of the glass company's mark, or might they perhaps be an unintended artefact of making the mold? -- seems unlikely

Roy

Reaction score
Happy week before Xmas.
Speak-writing of Xmas, here is a mystery bottle mark with 'mas 'x'es', 'mas equis'; little 'x'es all over the place, nine of them. It is a 5-gallon bottle made for the Walton Ice Company of Elyria Ohio, 1920's or earlier, possibly 1915 or 1925, with a base mark that I have been unable to identify. Attached are images of the bottle and of the mark, highlighted using a red marker -- difficult because the mark is not much raised, and light refracting in the glass tends to shift the apparent locations of the ridges -- but the general idea is there.
The bottle is simple with just "THE WALTON ICE CO. ELYRIA OHIO" in the slug plate.View attachment 242520View attachment 242521View attachment 242522View attachment 242523
The mark consists of three letters, C C W, which, oddly, have little 'x'es at all of the letter endpoints, the 'x'es on the ends of the larger C quite asymmetric, and the numeral "5".
Does anyone have other bottles made for the Walton Ice Company, and how are they marked?
In particular, does anyone have other 5-gallon bottles, of other water companies, with this mark?
Are the 'x'es really a part of the glass company's mark, or might they perhaps be an unintended artefact of making the mold? -- seems unlikely
Can't help you at all but that certainly is an interesting logo. Roy

Reactions: Len

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Happy week before Xmas.
The bottle is simple with just "THE WALTON ICE CO. ELYRIA OHIO" in the slug plate.View attachment 242520View attachment 242521View attachment 242522View attachment 242523

Sometimes these mineral water companies will have base monograms or initial marks that are the owner's full name.

Reactions: Roy

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
PlaneDiggerCam - a very interesting thought; so, was there a C. C. Walton involved with the business? I know that a George. P Walton was involved with the business in 1899, 1906; later a Rollin Walton mentioned in 1913, and an Elizabeth Walton in 1915 - smatterings of info -- much more to be learned. Should be able to flesh out the family, using ancestry.com. If the CCG turns out to be a Walton, the question will remain, "Who made the bottle?"

So many of the bottles of that time were made by the Illinois Glass Co. who were pretty good about putting their I-in-diamond mark, some by a company whose mark was a big squared capital G (stood for ?), and then there were the West Coast factories. And doubtless others that I am not aware of.

I'm trying to think of a 5-gallon bottle with the water company name on the base, rather than the glass factory, and not coming up with much. Do you know of any? I suppose Arrowhead out here in California sort of did, but they actually made the bottles though their GPD = Glass Products Division, so some reference to Arrowhead on the base really refers to the glass maker, as well as the water co. Others?

Having an 'x' at each terminal point of a letter made me wonder whether they (the 'x'es) were placed to guide the drawing of the letters, outline points, if you know what I mean, in the process of making the base mold, and might not have been intended to be part of the design. Perhaps someone who knows more about how the molds were made, especially the base-of-bottle molds, might know. Seems a bit far-fetched -- surely such marks would have been removed, not left to clutter up the final picture.

But if this was the process, I wonder if there might be found similar (but fainter?) marks on other bottles.

Whatever the case, still need to find out what CCW stands for.

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Sometimes these mineral water companies will have base monograms or initial marks that are the owner's full name.
PDC: please see my just-posted message -- I should have entered it as a reply to you.....for your attention. Thanks, P.

Raymond1804

Reaction score
This is my first posting and I took your CCW Monogram on as a Challenge. I discovered a Glass Factory Marks on Bottles website several months ago and I wanted to see if I could solve your Mystery! I researched CCW and didn't find any monograms! So I looked for CGW monograms and didn't find anything close! BUT when I searched for GGW monograms, I believe I solved your Mystery!! GGW stands for Gayner Glass Works from Salem, N.J. (1898-1937) and they produced large glass 5 gal. mineral water bottles. Have attached an illustration from the website glassbottlemarks.com website.

Attachments

• GGW Monogram.pdf
    369.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
This is my first posting and I took your CCW Monogram on as a Challenge. I discovered a Glass Factory Marks on Bottles website several months ago and I wanted to see if I could solve your Mystery! I researched CCW and didn't find any monograms! So I looked for CGW monograms and didn't find anything close! BUT when I searched for GGW monograms, I believe I solved your Mystery!! GGW stands for Gayner Glass Works from Salem, N.J. (1898-1937) and they produced large glass 5 gal. mineral water bottles. Have attached an illustration from the website glassbottlemarks.com website.
Raymond, you have indeed solved the mystery! Nice first posting!
Though the G's look like C's and though there are issues with the Von Michow write up (the "50" marks on the bottles are very unlikely to mean that the bottles were made in 1950, as the cork spout disappeared from water bottles about 1930, replaced by the crown type opening. Much more likely that the "26" on the bottle indicates a manufacture date of 1926 -- which leaves the 50 open for explanation -- I did find another bottle, on liveauctioneers, with the GGW logo, with the number 50 /2, perhaps 50 1/2, on the base, but no other number; again, what do the 50 and the 50 1/2 mean?), and though Whitten is not exactly clear on what monogram was seen, what manufacturer, what city, on the advertising item..........nevertheless,
..........provoked by the mention of a paperweight I searched for images of Gayner paraphernalia, and found the one here -- which quite clearly ties the logo to Gayner. "GAYNER"S [GGW logo] GLASS WORKS SALEM NJ". The paperweight is the smoking gun! For heaven's sake, the letters even have those funny little lines at their extremities!
Many thanks, Sherlock!
1671598038327.png

Raymond1804

Reaction score
Thank You for verifying my Research! I try to "think outside the box" when a challenge presents itself and of course we always welcome a little bit of Luck!! I admit, I had some on this search!! I agree with you about the "50" mark Not being the date! That's a great picture of the paperweight and the Monogram!! Thanks for Your Help also!!
You're Welcome, have a Great Holiday!!

Reactions: Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu