Monnet cognac flask/bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kavelady

Reaction score
We've had this bottle in our very small display for years. There are no mold-marks, and there is at least one bubble embedded in the glass, as if it were blown and not manufactured. [I have side and back views, as well if you are interested I can post separately.] The back consists of a debossed dragon in the center, with the words COGNAC MONNET surrounding it. Size is app. 4" x 4" with a 1" stem and 1/4" lip. Also, the bottle includes indents along the bottom-sides that make fine "handholds." I almost forgot to mention that the entire bottle is curved to fit the hand.

Any info you could give me about this piece would be awesome. Also, for insurance purposes, any idea of the value of this bottle?

Kathy V[:)]

Db85114.jpg

Attachments

• Db85114.jpg
    Db85114.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 124

JohnRoy

Reaction score
Here is a little background information on the founder:

In 1897 Jean-Gabriel Monnet became manager of a Cognac cooperative, the Cognac Wingrowers Company (SPCV), which then changed its name to J.G. Monnet & Co. A family of simple, rural origins, the Monnets quickly became wealthy with the father's enterprise in the cognac trade.

That at least gives you an idea of what era the bottle is from.

-John

kavelady

Reaction score
Thanks. That puts it right on the pre/post 1900 lip [;)] now, doesn't it! Would you suggest I also post my inquiry in other areas? And, last but not least, thanks for the info.

Kath

kavelady

Reaction score
So, what's the consensus? Pre or Post 1900? And I agree, Oldtimer, that's a sweet, sweet lable on that handy little bottle. I'm guessing it was corked. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm new at the diggin' stuff, but certainly could fit another obsession into my life!

--Kath

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky