Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

More brick.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
In response to your question. Yes! I'm from South Jersey, and the brick I showed you is from our local Brick Mfr. Plant that closed down in the 40s. Today, most of it has recently been turned into Dr's offices, but the other half is an overgrown wooded lot, still full of bricks from the plant. Funny that you said you are interested in the "defects," as there are tons of half-melted bricks laying around in mounds after they dozed the buildings. There are even what I call "experimental" prototypes, or odd-shaped ones of all kinds laying around. There are also tons of other artifacts laying around buried under mounds or just laying around. Bottles too! I'm only interested in actual historical relics of the plant, bottles, or the bricks that still bear the plant's name and are in "whole" condition (rare). But, should you want to see some examples of what is there, let me know. I'll snap a few pics of them and we can go from there. I just saw some that looked like they were meteorites, or volcanic rock!
I think some would love some pictures. Even if you don't collect them. I agree with you. I just like the rejects. Some do have the company name if you look closely. Here is a little pile of different colored brick defects I found. Red, orange, white, black and blue. To get the different colors the brick was dusted with coal, iron, and various materials.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
In response to your question. Yes! I'm from South Jersey, and the brick I showed you is from our local Brick Mfr. Plant that closed down in the 40s. Today, most of it has recently been turned into Dr's offices, but the other half is an overgrown wooded lot, still full of bricks from the plant. Funny that you said you are interested in the "defects," as there are tons of half-melted bricks laying around in mounds after they dozed the buildings. There are even what I call "experimental" prototypes, or odd-shaped ones of all kinds laying around. There are also tons of other artifacts laying around buried under mounds or just laying around. Bottles too! I'm only interested in actual historical relics of the plant, bottles, or the bricks that still bear the plant's name and are in "whole" condition (rare). But, should you want to see some examples of what is there, let me know. I'll snap a few pics of them and we can go from there. I just saw some that looked like they were meteorites, or volcanic rock!
Impurities in the clay cause these problems. Very low percentage of the brick survived to be usable. That explains the excessive amount dumped. I would think they could be reused/used as fill.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
I just read a story about brick quotas. Each brick maker at this factory was required to make 2000 brick a day. Was that good brick?? Now remember 60% of all brick was defective due to impurities in the clay. That's alot of work.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melli25