More brick.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Wow! Willong, --A great family history originating in a tougher, but beautiful part of the world. One thought. --An 88 on top of that clock tower building? A very effective AA gun, especially when bunched. More credit to them for getting that big boy up there! (They probably took it up in pieces.) Grandpa and his pal were both incredible and extremely lucky to escape the gulag. God Bless the Greatest Generation. If you haven't already, write down his story for the local library, + Smithsonian. Maybe Hollywood could make a movie out of it!
It's so sad the direction this country is heading, that is just one of thousands of stories that Hollywood wouldn't even consider. Schools, media, wouldn't even consider mentioning the evils that comes with government controlling your life.
If I offended someone to bad 8 yrs of my life I spent preserving your opinion deal with it.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That's like the bakery 2 doors down from me. It has been there since the 1800's. They had the big wooden walk in fridge. I got a bunch of the glass doorknobs. I even made a cane.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Glows a mean green under Uv light.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

• 20220404_091617.jpg
    20220404_091617.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 104

EdsFinds

Reaction score

ROBBYBOBBY64, Here is a brick I found the other day from our local old Brick works factory in South Jersey. I thought of you and the others who enjoy these old bricks. I like it simply because of the historical significance and that it bears the company's logo on it. As you can see, it's certainly a defect. I kept it and use it as a weight for the lid of my trash can (LOL). Interesting tidbit about this factory is that deeper into the wooded area, the actual claypits are still there! In most of the bricks I see from the factory (save this one for some reason), the color of the bricks are off colored and are usually a darker or lighter tan with specs of impurities seen throughout the brick, the same color as the South Jersey clay from which they were made. Some are even stranger in that you can see "swirling" patterns in them! Interesting to see the brick and the material still around today.​

Attachments

• Atlantic Brick MFG Plant_Defective brick sample.jpg
    Atlantic Brick MFG Plant_Defective brick sample.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 100

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

ROBBYBOBBY64, Here is a brick I found the other day from our local old Brick works factory in South Jersey. I thought of you and the others who enjoy these old bricks. I like it simply because of the historical significance and that it bears the company's logo on it. As you can see, it's certainly a defect. I kept it and use it as a weight for the lid of my trash can (LOL). Interesting tidbit about this factory is that deeper into the wooded area, the actual claypits are still there! In most of the bricks I see from the factory (save this one for some reason), the color of the bricks are off colored and are usually a darker or lighter tan with specs of impurities seen throughout the brick, the same color as the South Jersey clay from which they were made. Some are even stranger in that you can see "swirling" patterns in them! Interesting to see the brick and the material still around today.​

Love the defect. Great score and nice hiatorical save!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
In my area the clay pits are underwater. There is a state highway that now runs in-between them. The water came in so quick the guys had to scramble to get to safety. Today there's an American flag atop the lift pulley that sticks up from a steam shovel that got left behind.* The local town hall (Berlin, CT) has a display of all the companies who had bricks made from Berlin clay.

*-One of these days I'll get a photo. If anyone already has one feel free to post it.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
In my area the clay pits are underwater. There is a state highway that now runs in-between them. The water came in so quick the guys had to scramble to get to safety. Today there's an American flag atop the lift pulley that sticks up from a steam shovel that got left behind.* The local town hall (Berlin, CT) has a display of all the companies who had bricks made from Berlin clay.

*-One of these days I'll get a photo. If anyone already has one feel free to post it.
Not a big brick guy but apparently Chicago brick is worth some good money. Problem is I don't know how to tell the difference between that and any other brick.

willong

Reaction score
Not a big brick guy but apparently Chicago brick is worth some good money. Problem is I don't know how to tell the difference between that and any other brick.
When I first began prowling western Washington forests looking for antique bottles in 1970 and 71, I found most of the relics interesting. That certainly included the bricks and especially ones featuring embossed trademarks. Unfortunately, there is only so much a person can cart home* in a backpack and gunnysack. I didn't realize until reading Robby's original comments in this thread that there is actually a collector market for bricks.

I wonder, is that just a Midwest and Eastern USA thing? Or are Western bricks fetching a price too?

* That goes for broken axe heads, crosscut saws and circular saw blades from old mills too--how was I to know that painting on, and cutting silhouette scenes through the material of those relics would become (in the Pacific Northwest at least) a cottage industry?

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
New to me. I haven't seen anyone selling/ buying a brick at venues around here. (Know of only a couple of collectors...)
Does anyone know of a book or other record base.? [--Please, already have the one by the Commodores.:cool: {Yes, the song will be in your head for the better part of the day.} You're welcome.:)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac