More Finds...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
More glass from the past: "Whistle" soda ( Pat'd 1926 ), J & A McKechnie Canandaigua Beer ( MM from N.Y. ), a nice old black glass beer, clay pipe bowl, 3 in 1 oil and some more river glassware!

Gotta luv the summertime hunt!

Attachments

• IMG_6353.jpeg
    IMG_6353.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 115

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Another nice haul. (Your Whistle was already wet when you found it.) :) Congrats.

PS- Any maker's mark on the bowl? Love that Whistle bot.--Which begs the old collector's question, If you blow across the closure while under water, who can hear it?" ;)

Last edited:

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Another nice haul. (Your Whistle was already wet when you found it.) :) Congrats.

PS- Any maker's mark on the bowl? Love that Whistle bot.--Which begs the old collector's question, If you blow across the closure while under water, who can hear it?" ;)
No maker-marker on the bowl, but a nice anchor representation. As to your second question: the closest I’ve been to that scenario was the first ( and last ) time I drank a beer underwater - not so much a ‘cross-blow’, more like a calf on a teat, with a bubbly belch heard far n’ wide!

• Haha
Reactions: Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
No maker-marker on the bowl, but a nice anchor representation. As to your second question: the closest I’ve been to that scenario was the first ( and last ) time I drank a beer underwater - not so much a ‘cross-blow’, more like a calf on a teat, with a bubbly belch heard far n’ wide!
Dan, a must for the book! :D

PS- There are a lot of anchors in ceramics. Might be military. Care to take a pic? No biggie, just a l-o-n-g shot. (Kovel's has a section on anchors.)

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
More glass from the past: "Whistle" soda ( Pat'd 1926 ), J & A McKechnie Canandaigua Beer ( MM from N.Y. ), a nice old black glass beer, clay pipe bowl, 3 in 1 oil and some more river glassware!

Gotta luv the summertime hunt!

haven't found a whistle soda before must of not been sold much if at all in my area , seen them before though

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Dan, a must for the book! :D

PS- There are a lot of anchors in ceramics. Might be military. Care to take a pic? No biggie, just a l-o-n-g shot. (Kovel's has a section on anchors.)
I tried cleaning this bowl ( first & last time I ever do that! ), to see if I could make the anchor imprint stand out more; all I succeeded in doing was to remove some of the clay! Here it is...

Attachments

• Pipe Anchor.jpg
    Pipe Anchor.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 70

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I'll give it a quick look and let you know. --Len

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I tried cleaning this bowl ( first & last time I ever do that! ), to see if I could make the anchor imprint stand out more; all I succeeded in doing was to remove some of the clay! Here it is...
Hey DeepSeaDan,

I checked out and found a decent candidate to match the pipe bowl anchor. Its the first entry* on p.147 of the Kovel's first book Dictionary of Marks--Pottery and Porcelain, 1953 Crown Publishers, NY. I'd give it about a 70-75% probability, all things considered. Btw, the anchor on your bowl was actually a fairly unique design. Congrats.

*- P. 147 Entry- (a) SAVONA, Italy 17th-18th century

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Hey DeepSeaDan,

I checked out and found a decent candidate to match the pipe bowl anchor. Its the first entry* on p.147 of the Kovel's first book Dictionary of Marks--Pottery and Porcelain, 1953 Crown Publishers, NY. I'd give it about a 70-75% probability, all things considered. Btw, the anchor on your bowl was actually a fairly unique design. Congrats.

*- P. 147 Entry- (a) SAVONA, Italy 17th-18th century
Thanks Len.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi