Most common things (other than bottles) found on digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

embe

Reaction score
I enjoy reading the experiences you all have while digging. And not being a digger myself, wondered if there are things that show up more often than not in bottle dumps: marbles, coins, ceramic dolls, etc.

It makes sense they haven't decomposed yet (compared to other refuse of the time). Or did people normally dump marbles, kids toys, etc. along with bottles?

Ashbringer

Reaction score
I enjoy reading the experiences you all have while digging. And not being a digger myself, wondered if there are things that show up more often than not in bottle dumps: marbles, coins, ceramic dolls, etc.

It makes sense they haven't decomposed yet (compared to other refuse of the time). Or did people normally dump marbles, kids toys, etc. along with bottles?
I have to say I've found marbles, porcelain dolls,prices of a pocket watch. Also bones (animal) lots of shoe and tons of plated silver wear

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
Everything ashbringer said but in my area you’ll find oyster shells all of the time (Baltimore). There’s also a lot of chinaware and rusted metal fragments from who knows what that was also.

RCO

Reaction score
i don't really find alot of coins in old dumps , very rarely have i found those . if i find coins there usually in parks or near docks in the water but not often in old dumps

if you find toys there usually broken or damaged , have found marbles before , they seem to be more common to find

i find alot of metal items too , were worthless years ago but with the high price of scrap metal some are worth taking home now

Fenndango

Reaction score
Second the oyster shells

Also INSULATORS!!! Glass and porcelain. Both can be very desirable, even porcelain.

Telephone battery jar batteries

Axe heads

Farm tools

Old trucks/cars

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,

I've found civil war and other U.S. militray uniform items, especially in the really old dumps.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky