mound in the woods behind my house

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ranger

Reaction score
There is a mound in the woods behind my house that has old trash sticking out of it. There is evidence of a old home nearby. I have dug a few holes and unearthed newer trash but am sure it's an old dump place. The mound is about 15 feet high with a smaller mound beside it. My question is should I start digging into the sides of the mound or at the top where the cover soil has washed away? There are a few young trees growing on it but look like they grew after the trash was covered up. How deep should I dig? I'm new at this so any help will be appreciated.

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello ranger, if it was me i'd have a lantern and be digging at night as well, the bottom of the mound and below should hold the real goodie's, as far as how to dig it, i would start at a point at the base and work in being careful not to cause a cave in, but this would be me, i am sure there will be other forum member's who will respond as well to give you some good advice, good luck with the dig and keep us posted.

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi ranger.
I have dug in old mounds of ash and tip that where bulldozed up into huge piles, when we dug them they had been there for years but where still up to 20 feet high.
I found the best wat to dig them is to start on the edge and dig down to the very bottom then move foward six or so feet and dig that to the bottom, if you dig like that from one side to the other and be carefull to get all the very bottom (where most of the bottles are) you will find it's the best way to dig it (least effort anyhow [;)] ).
Good luck and post any good finds you make here [:D] .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado