Mountain Dew Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Could you please explain how you search completed listings on Ebay?
On FeeBay click on the ADVANCED link that is to the right of the SEARCH button.
A few lines down the Advanced Search page is a check box COMPLETED LISTINGS.
Check this and then enter your search parameters in the other fields.

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
I wanted to weigh in on this. I see a lot of scammers on eBay. Making the fake sales to boost values. I feel like they mess things up for the rest of us! Sometimes when you have a bottle or jar with no examples to compare to for value, then it is hard to figure out what it should be listed at. Granted, I think you can pay for a subscription to Worthpoint or maybe some other site or app to establish value. I love the Redbook for canning jars and have purchased the most recent copy. Have hundreds of other glass and antique related price guides and books. What I have struggled with is finding a comparable book for milk bottles or soda bottles. Milk bottles probably would need to be regional. Soda bottles books could focus era or type.

Rarety (is that a word) is somewhat easy to acertain. Demand and value can be harder to figure out. Solution can be to start out with what some consider an outrageous starting price (I look for the most expensive comparable bottle recently sold, excluding "fake sale" outliers.) This should not be decided in a vacuum. The seller should no what the top end real prices are for similar items.

Nothing worse than putting a bottle up and it sells superfast..ironic because you want to sell. Other thing that happens with a rare item is if you sell on auction, might go for a low price due to the fact is nobody is looking for it. Essentially to avoid ripping yourself off, you may have to think outside the box.

My solution is on a rare item is to start high, put caveat in listing that you are starting high and will consider all reasonable offers. Along with this I monitor my item and gradually lower the price until I start to see interest. It is usually pretty evident when you have started too high. I have always wondered if people think I am clueless or in the other category of scam artists. Hopefully 100% seller rating helps them to see I am neither.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Venor_Thesaurus

Reaction score
One alibi on statement above..it is ok to let people (the ones that do not appear to be scammers) know in comments that they may have listed there item very high. Not our responsibility, but I think benefits community to spread knowledge? Any thoughts?

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
I was interested in MD before, but the group was drowning in ginned up interest in modern Dew Shine special releases. One thing I picked up on though, is that the 16oz NDNR green bottles fully stippled, are much rarer than the 10oz’ers that are everywhere.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
One alibi on statement above..it is ok to let people (the ones that do not appear to be scammers) know in comments that they may have listed there item very high. Not our responsibility, but I think benefits community to spread knowledge? Any thoughts?

Theres a seller on eBay selling obviously modern Pepsi signs with Asian style anime bikini girls on them, with 1954 copyright dates! For $150. Other products, too. The listing has only the slightest doubt about the authenticity, but the price says, genuine. Fishin* for suckers.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Rarety (is that a word)

My solution is on a rare item is to start high, put caveat in listing that you are starting high and will consider all reasonable offers.

The term RARE is the most misused term on feeBay. Most sellers think that since THEY have not ever seen the item they are selling before... that is what makes it RARE.

When I see a feeBay listing that I think starts too high I don't even click on them to see any possible CAVEAT in that listing. I move on. Even if it pops up later, again and again, lower and lower, I ignore them. It's just the way I have always treated these type of listings.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score

I always send the seller a message if they have an item but have no idea what it is. Usually they appreciate that.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
When I search an item on Google and none show up but then go on to eBay do the same search which comes up with three. Wait it gets better, if I look at any of the 3 found on ebay and scroll down the page to similar items. There are even more. So much doesn't come up, that should. Wording could be word for word same as the title, still no match found. Drives me batty.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
The term RARE is the most misused term on feeBay. Most sellers think that since THEY have not ever seen the item they are selling before... that is what makes it RARE.

When I see a feeBay listing that I think starts too high I don't even click on them to see any possible CAVEAT in that listing. I move on. Even if it pops up later, again and again, lower and lower, I ignore them. It's just the way I have always treated these type of listings.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp