Muskegon Historic Bottles:

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thanks. :) Do you mean Michigan-Maid of Muskegon? I have the bottom half to one. With full ACL left, I've read it's rather rare. There seem to be two variations. I think mine is 1948?
Michigan%20Maid.jpg

acls

Reaction score
The one I am referring to is actually Muskegon Maid. Looks exactly like a Michigan Maid except the brand name is Muskegon Maid.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Did that have an embossed person on the top shoulder? I haven't heard of it, but it could easily be mistaken for Michigan Maid of Muskegon.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Matt, I do know one man who claims to have one. As for when he'll find it and send me pictures.... I've asked. xD As for now, I have several bottles to add here-- first I will do the 1940s stuff just because it fits here, then I will do the Druggists n my collection.
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B171.JPG
Arctic%2BFrost%2BBite%2BCure%2Bbottle%2B172.JPG
Base seen here to Muskegon Coca-Cola. I find it interesting that they put the date-codes here and not here. Anyone know the commonality of Muskegon Coca-Colas? Here is a 1947 Squirt from Hansen's Quality Beverage Co.-- pretty much identical to my first ACL which I do not have a good photo of. Here is my next variation of Muskegon Squirt, from Squirt Bottling Co. 1946. I had not known that we had a Squirt Bottling Co. here. Given to me for free by my friend Elmer. :D Now all I need is a single-color War ACL for Squirt-- I found one once, but it was busted up and fading. All red, no yellow. Somewhere I read that it was due to late War Shortages. Not sure how true that is, though.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Here we go: More Muskegon Druggists:
Muskegon%2BDruggists%2B028.JPG
1880s - 1910ish. +We'll start with (Click on blue names to see picture) Koon & Hopperstead: Central Drug Store operated by Koon and Hopperstead was around from 1894 to 1916 when I think Koon sold interest. The base is from D. F. & Co. out of Boston, which sold out in 1900. So we know it's pre-1900. + Jacob Jesson & Co.: Long-time Druggist in Muskegon, also known as Central Drug Store (Central Street,) was in business from 1881 to their 1895 name-change. Before this, it was either Jacob Jesson or Jacob Jesson & Sons. Mouth is a nice warped trumpet, bubble, small chip. + Fred Brundage: Base is the correct style for the 1880s W. T. & Co. bottles. Sadly, it has a damaged lip. [:(] + Now we have the Heeres Bros Drug Store which was around from 1890 and continued into the 1960s. As my bottle was made by Blue Ribbon, it is after 1906. It is hand-tooled. This was the Drug Store probably in the 1920s, but this is all that remains. I suppose it turned out better than it could have, but alas: It's ruined. Even the century-old windows are removed save for this one. And currently I cannot recall if I showed these caps-- all of which are cork-lined and two from Muskegon. Then for some extant history of Muskegon, check these out:Favorite Church to see here, House we almost bought before we lost almost everything, random Victorian mansion on a dirt road leading into the industrial area (First early industrial area) like this, a house to admire, the PERFECT corner-house, early school in a once-prosperous town, our library that was donated-- look at it! xD That was donated, (another angle,) our train-depot-turned-info-center with its awesome rooms, one of our best homes (another angle,) and our second 'best' historic home with their idea of a barn, more colorful historic homes, buildings like this and this all around, and much more. Loolz, that last picture-- they sprayed me. So there we go for this week. Enjoy. :D

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Highlighted Muskegon Coca-Colas (Click blue.)Also see part of Orangie in the background. Lol. Otherwise, on a more interesting note....
Dr.%2BBrocke%2B021.JPG
Dr. Alfred Brocke cam to Muskegon from Chicago but gained his license over in native Germany. The base reads, "W. B. M. Co." which stands for Western Bottle Manufacturing Company of Chicago, 1901 to 1921--ish. Lol. Alfred came here in 1904 but still seemed to be around in 1915. Other than one sold bottle and one reference, I find nothing on him. If I dug even deeper, I might, but I haven't had much time for that. Find more on him using a Ctrl F Brocke search here. I had to use a medium-tip painter's pen on this bottle, for my fine-tip pen broke and dumped a bunch of paint all over 'alfred'-- really sucked. Hah hah. What's interesting on this circa-1904 bottle is that it has 'Dr.' in the name-- something you don't often see on non-patent meds. He also leaves his first name lower-case. The bottle was quite a shock to see hidden in the antique store. When I absent-mindedly set it down to look for trade cards among post cards (see both I picked up here with puppies for Queen Anne soap and here for a new Bazaar [dated at 1885]) and then forgot where I placed it, I began to feel very nervous. Needless to say, I re-found it.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I finally found a reference to Moorland Pickle Co. of Muskegon (Moorland Twp.) from 1916. It appears that they'd been there a bit even though I searched from 1894 through 1918. They were making arrangements to build a salting station in Muskegon Heights.
Taped%2Bon%2Blabel%2B012.JPG
Moorland is an old township here, but we've had Swanson Pickle Co. just outside of it since 1949. The jar at left was dug near here and given to me for free. Who'd have guessed that I'd-- months later-- find one with an original label (which someone sadly taped)? The jar at right I picked up only because it is from Muskegon.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Error%2BDruggist%2B053.JPG
Error bottle.^ A. G. Jepson is what it should be, and he was around from 1875 to 1886.
Battle%2BCreek%2Bbottles%2B010.JPG
Michigan Bottling Company:1889 to about 1901.^
Battle%2BCreek%2Bbottles%2B011.JPG
Muskegon Brewing Co. (left,) a variant I've been looking for since I started out in this hobby as the first shard to an antique bottle I had found was the big aqua Muskegon Brewing Co. one. This is a Root-made bottle circa 1901. Read more and see more by clicking here. But if you want to see a HUGE collection of Muskegon bottles including an unlisted Hutch (history on them not included,) several Seltzers, ACLs, Druggists, Blobs, Calendar Plates and Stoneware Bottles... Here you go.Here was a rare local stoneware bottle:
First%2BDug%2BStopper%2B013.JPG
A stopper circa 1899:
First%2BDug%2BStopper%2B006.JPG
Circa-1898 stopper:
New%2Bblocks%2521%2B011.JPG
Pre-Prohibition cap:
Battle%2BCreek%2Bbottles%2B013.JPG
1950s cap:
Battle%2BCreek%2Bbottles%2B016.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads