My customers strike again!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CCB420

Reaction score
Thanks E_tenn, for the info, see foe some reason I thought that when seams don't go to the lip, that generally puts it in 1800's, but again, I need educated on the different bottle production methods, along with the time periods from which they were popular!

Anybody got any ideas on that last one? Says "singer manufacturing company" but I wasn't sure if the sewing machine "singer" were one in the same?? Don't remember that insect as the official singer mascot, but.......

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Thanks E_tenn, for the info, see foe some reason I thought that when seams don't go to the lip, that generally puts it in 1800's, but again, I need educated on the different bottle production methods, along with the time periods from which they were popular!

Anybody got any ideas on that last one? Says "singer manufacturing company" but I wasn't sure if the sewing machine "singer" were one in the same?? Don't remember that insect as the official singer mascot, but......
The Singer bottle is the sewing machine company. The logo is the Singer boat shuttle, crossed needles, and a spool and thread.
If a seam doesn't go to the lip it could put it 1800s but bot always. The Owen's bottle machine was invented in 1905 so obviously until then they would have blown the bottles. However it probably qiuld have taken about 5-10 years before most glass companies fully switched over. In England it took a little longer to transition over. I think a generally accepted method of dating English bottles is they switched to using "more modern" methods about 2 decades after the US. I think Canda took a little longer to convert also, but not entirely sure on that. The only reason I included info on other places is just to emphasize that not everyone began using the same method at the same time, but just to eliminate any confusion I might have brought up, your bottle is American.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
The Singer bottle is the sewing machine company. The logo is the Singer boat shuttle, crossed needles, and a spool and thread.
If a seam doesn't go to the lip it could put it 1800s but bot always. The Owen's bottle machine was invented in 1905 so obviously until then they would have blown the bottles. However it probably qiuld have taken about 5-10 years before most glass companies fully switched over. In England it took a little longer to transition over. I think a generally accepted method of dating English bottles is they switched to using "more modern" methods about 2 decades after the US. I think Canda took a little longer to convert also, but not entirely sure on that. The only reason I included info on other places is just to emphasize that not everyone began using the same method at the same time, but just to eliminate any confusion I might have brought up, your bottle is American.
According to Wikipedia this is what a shuttle boat is, "a bobbin driver design used in home lockstitch sewing machines during the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century. It supplanted earlier transverse shuttle designs, but was itself supplanted by rotating shuttle designs"
Another Wikipedia page says that lockstitching is "two threads, an upper and a lower. Lockstitch is named because the two threads, upper and lower, "lock" (entwine) together in the hole in the fabric which they pass through."
Lockstitch_-_Anthony_Atkielski.png

Example of lockstitching seen from the side.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
After that mortician, that lil coke bottle also struck me as odd?? It's tiny, maybe 3 or 4 Oz, well I say coke, looks like a beverage bottle

Here's a few more
The first bottle looks like a pepper sauce. It looks to me that the greenish one is a shampoo? Maybe some kind of cooking oil? The Citrate of Magnesia was and is still used for constipation. The listerine is a mouthwash. Fun fact Listerine was invented by a man named Joseph Lawrence. The name Listerine came from a surgeon who pioneered the use of surgical antiseptic methods. His name was Dr. Joseph Lister, hence the name Lister-ine. It was originally used as a surgical antiseptic, but was later used as used a floor cleaner and, eventually, mouthwash.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
And got another certo bottle, guess this was hung upside down??

Also the snuff bottles, doesn't the number of dots on the bottom represent something?? Forgive my ignorance, guess I could've done some homework
I've seen the Certo bottles before but didn't know what it was either, so we're both learning something here. Certo is a fruit pectin made from the skins of pressed apples or citrus fruit and is used for making jams and jellies to ensure they set. I would assume that the embossing is upside down to read when your dumping it? Or maybe a "serving size" of sorts? I guess there would have been a standard size jar for jams or jellies. Although when I've made jelly and when you buy it, it is in a pint jar and half the bottle of certo looks a bit big for a pint of jelly. Unless you made multiple jars of jelly at once?
The McCormick looks like an extract.
The 3ii bottle would have been a medicine and had a paper label.
Not sure whether the bumps on the bottom of snuff jars is the "strength" of the snuff or not.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi