My first ghost town

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

flasherr

Reaction score
I was in a ghost town today that I found by reading Ghost towns of Texas.
I found 2 cistern's that were way over 20 feet deep all I saw were rusty old cans in 1 and more rusty cans along with a 4 foot rattle snake in the other. I was wondering how can you search these being so deep. it would be hard to get a ladder big enough to get into them. I found lots of great old pieces of glass that had turned amethyst. But that is all I found was pieces and by the looks of it there must have been a really hot fire there because every thing was melted into odd shapes. I picked up some of them because they were so pretty. I wasn't able to search much because of all the cactus in the area. I did find a place that seemed to be about a 1960s dump but dummy me didn't take a shovel with me. but what I was able to get to with a rake was all busted. I also collect bottle caps and found a bunch but no longer anything but rust :(. The Texas sun was beating down so I didn't stay to long. just thought id share my weekend im my very first ghost town. It wasn't much fun out by myself sure need to find an Abileneian that has the same interest .Eskota was built in 1881 by the Texas Pacific railroad but closed down by 1956. Hope your weekend was better than mine.
Brian

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi flasherr,
They sound more like well holes than dunny holes (cistern's), the only safe way to dig hole's that deep is with at least two diggers and buckets on a rope. You may need a ladder depending on the stability of the sides of the hole, if it's hard clay or the like you can just dig toe holds in the corner and get in and out that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac