My short story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Chuck1188

Reaction score
Seeing that story posted by redginger brought up an idea to post my short story here on the boards. I was weary but she talked me into it. Haha
Bare with me for it is a rather long story. Be free to post any comments about the story good or bad. I love to know what you think.

Tonight is the night (It all begins again)

Two faces in the crowd are only faces when nothing stands out of the norm and everyone and everything is the same. We are all taught and molded by today’s society to live in conformity and to fit in. Nothing stands out unless that one thing decides to go against the grain and do something considered insane. Forced to be dressed in a wardrobe in today’s clothing we say nothing, we swim like fish in a current; all the same pattern on our bodies, only seeing one color around us, fearing that if we swim out of this current we will be destroyed by the sharks. When fear consumes the only resort is to hide in our own skin; trembling, shaking, empty inside. But for two people, they would break out of their skin and with their separate worlds colliding into one would find more than what they imagined would ever happen.
Today was just another typical day except the fact that it would be different. No one did anything anymore. They sat in their houses, with boredom eating away at the skull as time ticked like a bomb to the ending of their lives. Watching the clock go around in circles until drowsiness took control of their bodies and eventually passing into R.E.M. Their clothes, black in color, or a lack there of, their hair, everything was all the same. Their movements, their choices, their thoughts, even their vehicles; they were all the same. Everyone was the same. Never breaking this cult, they lived by the sword. They didn’t realize they were transformed into robots; controlled by one mind and forced to do what the brain told them. It had become routine. Today was the day to break the routine.
A lonely cold day filled with grey clouds and emotions the same was at hand as the town went along schedule. A dark hill led the way down to the lakeside bay where a few eateries sat in their awkward places along with the lonely ferris wheel and a couple of scattered benches sat upon a boardwalk with rusty nails instilled within its old and destroyed wood. There were no restaurants but just a few fair like booths where food was served. No lights sat upon the rusty steel supports of the ferris wheel, nobody fished off the dock, there was no laughter filling the air, no sounds of the great wheel machine turning like the clock. Everything was dead.
A young boy barely the age of nineteen was not like any of the other people in the town. He was a special boy. Yet like any other person he was afraid of breaking of this skin. Once a week he and his family would head into town to eat at the same place they had eaten for all their life, as did their grandparents before them and their grandparents and their grandparents did. They would get their food while they sat and ate in silence on the old rotten benches, nobody speaking to anyone. No one had any friends but their own family, not even they were real close, as no words were spoke; ever.
The boy and his parents were the only ones in the house as everyone else only had one child as well. They put on their evening attire and groomed themselves as they got ready for the afternoon at hand. The boy was clueless as to what was about to happen. Slowly they traveled down the road with no expressions upon their faces, with each winding turn of the road, fate lures closer and closer. The road dry and clutter free they take their course; driven so many times it’s almost done by memory. Every sharp turn, every bump in the road, every hill, every turn, every stop sign, all subconsciously etched like a prehistoric stone into their minds. Eyes forward they focused on the road with no sight of any car coming from any direction, slowly making their way to their destination.
Upon arriving as they stood in line to get their food appeared someone the boy had never seen before. A girl, standing a little bit shorter than him, appeared to look like nothing out of the norm in terms of style. The girl had dark hair, a black dress, black shoes, but a complexion that would drive a man wild. Instant eye contact was made between the boy and the girl and a glimmer of hope ran through the boys mind that maybe something else was out there for him besides this dark and grueling world that he lived in. He wanted so badly to talk to the girl but as no words were ever spoken he could not address the girl, at least he didn’t know how. The family got their food, sat on the bench, ate, and went home. He would have to wait at least another week to contemplate a plan on how he could contact the girl. Disappointments filled his mind and his heart ached with a pain he had never felt before. The question of what if ran like a horse through his mind as he sat on his bed motionless. Waging wars were fought in his head as it seemed like hours had gone by without a single movement. Tiredness overcame him as he fell asleep still clothed atop his bed.
Days passed by but not a single one without him thinking of the girl he had seen at the boardwalk. The time had come again for the weekly dinner with the parents as he still had no plan or no clue as to how to make contact with this beautiful girl. He dressed in his usual attire and made his way toward the car as did his parents. His mind in a million different pieces, he could barely function. He got into the car and they made their way to another dinner on the town. They arrived at the boardwalk, parked the car, and casually made their way to the food booth. The boy was filled with hope and anxiousness as he desperately wanted to see the girl again. His hands shook and his walk staggered walking towards the dock. He franticly looked all around him in search of this girl that made him act the way he did. He stood in line like everybody else, waiting patiently, yet eager. It almost came to a point when he couldn’t take it anymore and just walked off in search of the girl but, he waited like everyone else did. A hollow stew was heard just a distance from him. He swung his head around as fast as an owl and just as he suspected the girl was standing in another line gazing into his eyes with pure wonderment. He stared for a long while before the girl did the unthinkable; she pulled her hair back into a pony tail revealing red earrings, took off her over coat showing a red shirt.
All eyes that happened to be looking at her instantly turned away. All the people who were in line behind her left, as if there were a hurricane coming their way. The people in front of her got their food and took it with them into their cars only to be turned cold and eaten later. In the sky the clouds released their rain in a roaring rage as the people scattered like cockroaches when a light is turned on and the boy and his parents headed back to the car with a sad soul but yet a glimpse of hope for his near but distant future only to be left alone in his room once again thinking of ways he could rid of this curse of being like everyone else and be like his newly found idol in the form of a girl.
He took the girls actions as an inspiration as to what he was going to plan for the upcoming week for it was going to be a gutsy decision and one in which may affect the rest of his life either in a good way or bad. He too would dress in red but would cover up his decision so that his actions would not be hindered by another person. He would make plans with eagerness but in a controlled manner so that it didn’t get out of hand and he didn’t mess everything up too bad. Only days away until his plan was set into motion he sat in a nervous skin as his body wanted to jump out from under him and execute the plan right there in that moment. Only silence came from his motionless skeleton as he knew what he was about to do.
Days came and passed leading to the fateful day of his awakening to a new life in which he would find comfort and would fill the emptiness inside him that had been haunting him for years but didn’t really feel it until now. He stood up and walked to the door to lock it tight and get dressed in his black suit with his red tie tucked in behind his black shirt and his red socks that would be hidden by the black pants that he would be wearing to dinner. This would be the night to remember; this would be the night that it all started, a revolution one might call it, only to lead to something he didn’t expect to ever happen.
They took their course once again to the only other place they had ever eaten and arrived in timely fashion. Little did they know their son would do something that would make them possibly regret having him as a son. They got out, shut the door, and headed to the booth. As soon as they stopped walking only to stand in line, the boy calmly looked to the line in which the girl was standing to see her wearing her red ear rings and her red shirt. Only this time her parents were nowhere to be seen. He took a deep breath and exhaled as he revealed his red tie and rolled up his pants to show his red socks. All eyes except his parents’ turned away. His mom and dad turned around and gave him a glare straight into his eyes that would give a child nightmares. In shame they grazed past him and headed for the car with disappointment in their eyes and pain in their soul. This would be the last time they would speak to their son.
The girl, after seeing what the boy had done, walked over to the boy with a smile on her face and looked into his eyes knowing that they had made the decision of their lives and it would lead to one of the greatest things imaginable. He grabbed her hand and continued to stand in line to grab a bite to eat and with huge smiles on both of their faces they sat on the bench once more to eat, but this time not in silence. For the first time ever words were spoken and it was the most beautiful thing anyone had ever heard; only that they were the only two that heard the words coming from the boy’s mouth: “I speak to you and for only you.†The girls smile got bigger and a glow seemed to shine from her face. A cloud parted in the middle and two beams of sunshine shone upon the boy and the girl sitting in their perfect places upon the bench. Upon finishing their food they stood up hand in hand to walk towards the ferris wheel with the two beams of light still shining on the places they sat on the bench. They took their seats and the wheel started its motion. It was here that they would sit for hours going in circles talking about their lives and how this fashion had affected them and the soul inside them. Each one still hurting from the lack of communication they both knew that they could sit on this wheel for days and days if it were possible. When they reached the bottom of the wheel it stopped spinning and they removed their safety belts and stood up to leave the ride. The boy made her follow him to the end of the dock and he began to strip down to only his boxers and proceeded to jump into the calm waters of the lake. Hesitant, the girl acted as the boy did, and followed him into the waters. Playfully they splashed each other and pretended to dunk the other, all done with laughter and a joyful smile. Shivering with coldness they drew each other in to warm their bodies. With a gentle hand the boy pulled the stray hairs away from the girls face and their lips touched with and the void in their souls started to fill.
They exited the waters and dressed themselves once again walking hand in hand they headed towards the bench. Together they sat down and the girl said to the boy; “Forever I remain with you, here and everywhere.†With these words being spoken the boy placed his hand on hers and they died. The clouds parts came back together and the two beams of light were no more. With the boys tie and socks and the girls ear rings and shirt remained viewable to anyone who saw them they sat lifeless in their places. The following weeks more and more people starting wearing different colors instead of their black apparel, but not the color red in respect of the boy and the girl who had placed a beam of light in other’s hearts that there is something different out there and that they didn’t have to live the life that was placed before them.

The End

RedGinger

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Great details. It was very descriptive. I encourage everyone to write, and share your stories. I hope BlobbottleBob will share some new stories with us as well. They are always a fun adventure.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Very interesting concept, but, I'll be honest, difficult to read. I'm not an English teacher, so I don't really know how to correct it, but it sounds like you tried a little too hard. The only way I would know how to correct it would be to re-write it. I'd consider this a rough draft and start re-writing. Get the thesaurus out to help you pick the right words (NOT necessarily BIG words - the RIGHT words. Re-work it one sentence at a time. Then work on the grammar and typos and shortening it.
Try to keep thoughts in the same tense. When you switch between tenses, it's hard to follow.

Not trying to be a downer -

Whenever I care about something I write, I get my thoughts down and then do all of the above until I get it right. (In total quiet when I will not be disturbed, hence the reason I don't write much.)

A VERY GOOD QUOTE TO WRITE BY:

If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.

Marcus T. Cicero

Chuck1188

Reaction score
I can take constructive criticism...but, I didnt see any typos or incorrect grammar.
Believe me I checked the thing multiple times. I am a grammar freak.
One of the things that is to the writers advantage is that he/she can do anything they want.
I have had NUMEROUS positive responses on this story.
Im not upset at all I would just like to know where these "typos" and incorrect "grammar" usages are.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I agree with Kate and Joe, the story is evolving and is thought provoking with good details and descriptions, but there are grammatical errors. That's okay. My story has them too. I'm not going to pick them all out on here, unless you want me to. Please keep in mind that this is constructive criticism and is nothing negative about you or your story.

suzanne

Reaction score
You would be a good science fiction writer. I liked the story.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac