My Son's Metal Detecting Finds-Any Ideas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Oh geez friends so sorry this got posted under the wrong thread! Is there an administrator that can move it or delete it and Ill repost where it belongs!
SMH- Fred
Unfortunate there is no delete. Needs to be. You can edit your own posts though. That could be used to change the content and remove the images... I think...

RCO

Reaction score
Wow-that's it for sure! Thanks so much! I wonder how the heck a pinfire cartridge ended up in the middle of the woods here in Texas.

Now to figure out what the other thing is. Now I'm really intrigued.

it used to be a lot more common for people to use firearms in the woods for various purposes

such as target shooting , small game hunting . things weren't as built up as they are now and you used to be able to buy guns at the hardware store without any questions being asked

so is many possible ways it ended up there

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Oh geez friends so sorry this got posted under the wrong thread! Is there an administrator that can move it or delete it and Ill repost where it belongs!
SMH- Fred
I still got the message. You have a quart blob too. Sweet! That one is arched like the codd I got it was used from 1905- 1915.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Last edited:

Crockett

Reaction score
We live in a new neighborhood that is built in an area that had not had much past development, but my son has a cheap metal detector and apparently is finding some odds and ends that appear to have some age in a random spot in the woods behind our house. He's found a little bit of glass there too that appears to have some age as well as it has purpled. Nonetheless, the photo shows two items he found...one looks like a 22 bullet but there is some sort of strange protrusion from the shell and the other is a rivet (like for a piece of clothing) that has something impressed on it (maybe a flattened eagle or a cross or something?). Anyone have any ideas? I promised my son I'd try to figure out what these were.
Lefaucheux pin fire cartridge and a rivet most likely from horse tack

willong

Reaction score
I wonder how the heck a pinfire cartridge ended up in the middle of the woods here in Texas.
Hunting is the most likely activity, with military campaign or frontier conflict being another possibility.

Since someone (Crockett) pointed out that the rivet is likely from horse tack, the romantic notion is that your son has stumbled upon the site of an early military campsite--what route did the Texans travel to get to the Battle of San Jacinto?

Also, keep in mind that what is wooded today might well not have been during the era of pinfire cartridges. The prosaic interpretation is that your son has uncovered relics from a field that was hunted either before or after a 19th century farmer broke a bit of harness on his plow horse.

vannix

Reaction score
hi there.. both are civil war area... the first thing is a civil war knapsack grommet.. its what held the material together.. they where also used on other things like backpacks, belts cartridge box most anything made with leather.. the pin fire cartridge is for a colt dragoon they came in 40 cal and 44 cal.. they quit making them around 1866... tell your son to keep digging there might find some buttons there too

relic rescuer

Reaction score
We live in a new neighborhood that is built in an area that had not had much past development, but my son has a cheap metal detector and apparently is finding some odds and ends that appear to have some age in a random spot in the woods behind our house. He's found a little bit of glass there too that appears to have some age as well as it has purpled. Nonetheless, the photo shows two items he found...one looks like a 22 bullet but there is some sort of strange protrusion from the shell and the other is a rivet (like for a piece of clothing) that has something impressed on it (maybe a flattened eagle or a cross or something?). Anyone have any ideas? I promised my son I'd try to figure out what these were.
That is a pinfire cartridge, and is the first attempt at putting a bullet in a case with a contained primer. Very cool find. The rivet to me just looks like a malformation in crimping?

nhpharm

Reaction score
We've done a bit more metal detecting in the area...its still a bit of a puzzle. Basically, there is an old pipeline (coming from the Humble Oil Fields) that runs through the woods that I believe was installed in the 1910's with an access road that ran along it. There is a stretch of this access road about 100' long that had these items as well as some cast iron odds and ends in it along with a bit of 1910's glass. It appears that the material for the road is what contains the artifacts but I don't know where this material came from; it looks native to the natural soil in the area so I doubt they brought it far. Gonna keep exploring.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado