My toughest bottle to clean.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
MEK, Methyl Ethyl Ketone is another good one. similar to Acetone. Don't spill any of this stuff on any painted surfaces as it doubles as a Paint Remover.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
METHYL ETHYL KETONE (M.E.K.) is a slower evaporating solvent similar to acetone. Stinks like heck so do it outside. Works as well.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the helpful tips on cleaning. Hopefully I will not get another like the Schaefer bottle.
One thing for sure, others collectors who may have similar bottles will know what to use.

Bohdan

Reaction score
Just try all your solvents - one at a time until you find one.
And if you find the "Universal Solvent", please let me know what you keep it in.

EvansBottles

Reaction score
Any time I have to remove sticky gunk from a bottle I use oven cleaner. The stuff in the bottle will typically be
organic. Oven cleaner will dissolve it. It might take a few days. And you may have to rotate or reposition the bottle
to get to hard to reach areas.

Reaction score
Diesel Fuel works for a lot of sticky stuff, but it sure does stink
Gas works too, we used gas to get roofing tar off our hands. Cuts through it like butter. Diesel would be slot safer though, not nearly as combustible.

dab46

Reaction score
once you got some of the substance out I would try different things on it like mineral spirits,denatured alcohol,ammonia,gasoline. outside,not in the house.

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the helpful tips on cleaning. Hopefully I will not get another like the Schaefer bottle.
One thing for sure, others collectors who may have similar bottles will know what to use.
My reply to you may be a couple of years late , but after looking at what you started with and seeing what you accomplished I would consider your effort and your final product " OUTSTANDING "

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger