My very first dug bottle ever

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

K6TIM

Reaction score
Good guess, looks like a basic screw-top '30s medicine to me(but I can't be sure because of the gunk, it could be a pre-1900 applied screw top which would make it really neat and much more uncommon). Can probably use some CLR to get that crap off the threads/neck area. I found tons of 1930's screw top bottles just like that in a desert lot right across the street, including some 30's and possibly 20's cork tops. I found emerald green ant poisons with the weird shape, and other little things, but lots of basic medicines like that one too all between like 1925-1940. I sold most of those in a bundle to the local antique store when I came back to collecting with an emphasis on mostly pre-1900 bottles, but I still have the three best small 30's bottles I found as a kid.

The one thing keeping me from being 100% sure how old it is is not seeing the threads and lip fully.
You might want to leave the patina as is since you'll ruin it's value.To find how old it might be look at the seam line.If it goes all the way to the top of the lip it's a machine made bottle after 1903.The seam line that ends below the bottle lip it's pre-1900! A mouth blown in a iron mold!

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Well it's my very first and maybe even last bottle, who knows. Nothing fancy , no embossing and probably not super old. Thinking it might be an aspirin bottle but can't remember if they were ever amber.View attachment 217308
That's a nice, little, old bottle!! Never stop searching, you will find many more, and even older bottles, never give up because there are tons of them!!!

Some people make fun of my collecting and preserving habits. After 50+ years of leisurely collecting antiques (including digging bottles which was not leisurely!!!) I have a collection worth over $175,000 - not incredible, but respectable. Remember, great bottles are also found in antique shops, house/estate sales, and garage sales, and "junk" shops. Don't ever, ever get discouraged!! Protect them for the future!!

Much more important than money, I think, is the importance of what we as collectors do. Every time I visit a museum and look at all the great old things on display, I think to myself, what would have happened if the family of this Civil War soldier used his letters as fireplace tinder? What if somebody smashed that 1830 whiskey flask against some rocks? What if somebody failed to protect those copies of the Declaration of Independence? What if........

The joys and education we get, looking at and learning from antiques because thoughtful people 100, 200, 1,000 years ago or more protected them for us, are incalculable! We should be grateful to them all!! I hope people feel the same way about us 100 or 1,000 years from now!

Bottom line: Keep searching, discovering, and collecting!!! Guard and cherish what you have, and when the time comes, hand it off to others who value them similarly! Or even to a museum! Never give up!!! Never stop!!!!!

Nickneff

Reaction score
Well it's my very first and maybe even last bottle, who knows. Nothing fancy , no embossing and probably not super old. Thinking it might be an aspirin bottle but can't remember if they were ever amber.View attachment 217308
Not to be a smart-ass this is my opinion you know what I usually do with screw tops that I dig I usually set them up on a fence line shoot them they make good target practice see there's a use for everything. I am all about cork bottles with me non machine but I live in Kentucky I guess that's a good old boy and me

Nickneff

Reaction score
That statement I made was really harsh I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you I was just stating what I do with them but I remember when I first started hack my first bottles they had Topps knocked off of them and everything but I want to apologize I didn't mean to be so harsh to you I'm a ironworker and I don't know if you're familiar with Ironworkers but we got tough skin and we are not sensitive at all I'm sorry though I apologize to you for that but that's just my opinion of what I do with those stick with it. You'll be happy you did it's a fun hobby regardless of what you're digging if you like it that's all it matters again I apologize maybe that ain't the good old boy in me may be a Kentucky redneck you think LOL but hey just to make things right with you be ever want my opinion on a bottle which you may now but if you do feel free to send me a picture and if I can identify. I sure will buddy God bless you have a good day

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18