Mystery Calgary Embossed Milk Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Picked up a milk bottle yesterday at a garage sale. Can't find any information on it. Can anyone out there help out. I think the photos show most information. Dominion Glass bottle (anyone able to tell me what the letters and numbers mean?), embossed with P & C Milk Co., Calgary on one side and Loaned -Return when empty on the other. I checked out DairyBob as he seemed to be the expert but haven't heard anything yet. Thanks for any assistance.

Attachments

• milk2.jpg
    milk2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 75
  • milk3.jpg
    milk3.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 73
  • milk1.jpg
    milk1.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 64

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Producers & Consumers Milk Co https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/statcan/CS32-D-1-1934-eng.pdf Not sure of their dates of operation but they were for sure operating in 1934.

SHA has some info on Dominion date codes here: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/DominionGlass.pdf If their info is correct your bottle should date from March/April 1950 and made in (I think) Redcliffe, Alberta.
I should note that some of the info on that page looks pretty questionable to me, especially what they sourced from the Thomas King book. They note that a lot of King's info appears to be incorrect (your bottle proves his info on their date codes to be incorrect) but unquestioningly believe some other parts of it which I think they should have been more skeptical about, particularly his bizarre claim that the Diamond D logo was introduced in 1928 because of US Prohibition.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Producers & Consumers Milk Co https://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2017/statcan/CS32-D-1-1934-eng.pdf Not sure of their dates of operation but they were for sure operating in 1934.

SHA has some info on Dominion date codes here: https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/DominionGlass.pdf If their info is correct your bottle should date from March/April 1950 and made in (I think) Redcliffe, Alberta.
I should note that some of the info on that page looks pretty questionable to me, especially what they sourced from the Thomas King book. They note that a lot of King's info appears to be incorrect (your bottle proves his info on their date codes to be incorrect) but unquestioningly believe some other parts of it which I think they should have been more skeptical about, particularly his bizarre claim that the Diamond D logo was introduced in 1928 because of US Prohibition.
Thank you very much for the information. I will have to check out those websites. I figured it was Redcliffe but thank you for the verification. How the heck did you find out that information? That seems like such an obscure publication. Do you know anything about the rarity of the bottle itself? Since I can't find any information about the bottle or the company other than the publication you sent, I am assuming it wasn't a very big company and must not have lasted long.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information. I will have to check out those websites. I figured it was Redcliffe but thank you for the verification. How the heck did you find out that information? That seems like such an obscure publication. Do you know anything about the rarity of the bottle itself? Since I can't find any information about the bottle or the company other than the publication you sent, I am assuming it wasn't a very big company and must not have lasted long.
I figured out the name just by taking a guess and Googling it, it seemed like a likely name for a dairy. There were a lot of farmers' co-ops with names like "Producers Dairy". SHA articles are posted on here quite a lot, they're the best resource for info on bottle marks.

I have no idea on rarity, you'd need to talk to some Alberta collectors for that. Assuming SHA is correct it lasted for a couple decades, so it may not be that rare, comparatively speaking. Of course few Canadian milk bottles are going to be that common.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu