Mystery Substance on Bay View Brewery Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I bought this guy about a month ago at an estate sale in Niu Valley. I bought it for an astonishing $10! I know a decent amount about the history and value of this piece. Anyways, I come to you all concerning the material stuck to the back of the bottle. It might be barnacles as it has a slightly salty scent but idk. It could be as simple as concrete. I am thinking of removing it either way but I have no clue as to how. Any info or suggestions are much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20221121_022449722.jpg
    PXL_20221121_022449722.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20221121_022515557.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221121_022515557.MP.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20221121_022724145.jpg
    PXL_20221121_022724145.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 100

willong

Reaction score
I bought this guy about a month ago at an estate sale in Niu Valley. I bought it for an astonishing $10! I know a decent amount about the history and value of this piece. Anyways, I come to you all concerning the material stuck to the back of the bottle. It might be barnacles as it has a slightly salty scent but idk. It could be as simple as concrete. I am thinking of removing it either way but I have no clue as to how. Any info or suggestions are much appreciated.
Nice score!

Home Depot and swimming pool supply stores sell muriatic acid, which is just another name for hydrochloric acid. You might find it more economical than buying brand name products like CLR, Lime Away and such. It's about $12 per gallon on the mainland and is used substantially diluted for most purposes. Used with proper safety precautions, it's a great product for cleaning and etching concrete surfaces to prep for painting or epoxy coating, removing efflorescence from brick and block masonry and dissolving lime deposits from surfaces such as glass, porcelain or plastics that are themselves impervious or highly resistant to the acid.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Nice score!

Home Depot and swimming pool supply stores sell muriatic acid, which is just another name for hydrochloric acid. You might find it more economical than buying brand name products like CLR, Lime Away and such. It's about $12 per gallon on the mainland and is used substantially diluted for most purposes. Used with proper safety precautions, it's a great product for cleaning and etching concrete surfaces to prep for painting or epoxy coating, removing efflorescence from brick and block masonry and dissolving lime deposits from surfaces such as glass, porcelain or plastics that are themselves impervious or highly resistant to the acid.
As stated, FOLLOW directions. It's safe to use if used PROPERLY!!!!!

willong

Reaction score
As stated, FOLLOW directions. It's safe to use if used PROPERLY!!!!!
Digger Dave posted a fairly long and thorough YouTube video on cleaning dug bottles. Late in video--it's about 3/4 of the way through the episode as I recall--he demonstrates acid cleaning technique and mentions some of the safety precautions.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi