Native american chief belt buckle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Maybe York DNA also. York was a black man that accompanied Lewis and Clark. The native americans that met him were so amazed at his black colored skin. They tried to wipe it off. The chiefs thought he had the spirit of the black bear in him and so he was encouraged to have sex with the native woman so they could have the black bears spirit in thier tribe. He had a lot of sex. Don't remember this in the history books do ya?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Actually, I'm well aware of York and have read accounts of his exploits, though it was long enough ago that I can't for certain recall in which publications those accounts might have appeared. I suspect that I first read of York's sexual popularity among the Mandan and other tribes in "American Heritage" a magazine to which I subscribed for several years. A more explicitly detailed account of Amerindian sexual practices and mores in general that also mentioned York was either presented in one of the popular "men's magazines" of the 1970's or in an academic paper that I stumbled upon. I wish I possessed eidetic memory, that I might cite the references for you Robby (is it okay to address you thusly?).

I've always been intrigued by the adventures of The Corps of Discovery and have read several accounts, though I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have not read texts of the original journals--it's on my bucket list.

I am a big fan of reading exploration accounts in general, and of the American West, especially during the Mountain Man era of the fur trade, in particular. I think that members of The Corps of Discovery had the best job and one of the greatest adventures ever!

The owner of Alpine Tipis in Polson, MT, a neighbor to a commercial building that I own there, is Dick Bratton. If that last name seems familiar, it is likely because you've seen it while reading accounts of the expedition--one of Dick's ancestors served as a private under the co-captains.

Our interests and curiosity probably parallel each other to the extent that you have already read accounts from the journals David Thompson and David Douglas. If not, I highly recommend them to you. They are both in the public domain and available online. Douglas came on the scene significantly later than the Lewis and Clark expedition, but I found his accounts of wandering in pursuit of botanical specimens quite interesting. It was while reading Douglas's journal that I first learned of The York Factory Express, a cross-continent journey that I find astounding.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
So much history not taught in school. Old west, fur trading mountain men are right up my alley. and I have not but will read the suggested material. Where would one find transcripts of the original journal. I love the history of it all. My bucket list keeps growing. I scertainly have my work to read cut out for me. Let me get up to speed and we can chat more about this subject if you like.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Marbles?

Attachments

• 20210323_182430.jpg
    20210323_182430.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 20210323_182337.jpg
    20210323_182337.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69

Members online