Naval Boarding Weapons

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
I am no expert on boarding grenades but do encounter fakes or repro's of valued repro's on ebay. It is unscrupulous for a seller to sit and watch a $5.00 item to be bid into the$100's. It maybe legal and it may be good profit margin but it is not good business practice.

One to look out for is the Kimbal and Hart Tobacco Jar. If it looks to yellow. It is!
Ep

E924612AB4304BA2BF759AD736605440.jpg

Attachments

• E924612AB4304BA2BF759AD736605440.jpg
    E924612AB4304BA2BF759AD736605440.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
If anything came of this EBay incident it was bringing this forum to light. Glad to have been able to join, and I’m sure I will use this site to learn more.

I would just like to bring you up to date on the latest happenings on those auctions that were in question as to their authenticity.

The two sellers in question have now switched tactics. Instead of “boarding weapons†we now have “Persian wine flasksâ€. If you will look at these two auctions #330067296043 and 320069765577 I think you will find a startling similarity to each other.

Why one supposedly reputable dealer who purports to know glass would not recognize this for what it is I have no idea except to mislead. The glass is way to heavy and thick to be old, certainly not from the 1700’s and in a colour that is all wrong for that age. At the best a modern bottle currently made in Egypt, if from the Middle East at all!

The other seller for the moment has ceased and desisted, perhaps feeling the noose tightening around his neck?

Mainepontil

Reaction score
The Persian saddle flasks are old but they are not really valuable. Fifty bucks is about it and even that is generous. But I would not be surprised if these two sellers were having replicas blown.

Sirmarkw is back at it again with the "Deck Sweeper Boarding Weapon"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330073535667

When will this stop, he is a fraud and knows it.

Reaction score
Yes indead, wrap some string around it, show some rusted bits of metal and rotted wood and we are back at it again.
Does anybody have similar bottles to run another NOT auction?

jwschaeffer

Reaction score
I just don't understand why Ebay has not pulled these from being sold. I do think he will be in trouble with some of his previous listings especially the ones he stated were from Maine. Individuals at the state museum I spoke with stated that the FBI was contacted because of his fraudulent listings. I am really curious to see what will happen.........

Reaction score
Ebay will not do anything to remove the listings as they have no expertise in this matter. It is my understanding that they have been contacted by the Maine Historical Society, yet the fraudulent auctions continue. I do notice that he has changed his story and no longer refers to the site or location of the wreck. This is because the wreck does not exist and if it did he had no permits to collect from anywhere in the state of Maine. Why the FBI are dragging their feet is beyond me.
In the mean time another person has been defrauded of $500.00.
As I asked before, does anyone have a similar bottle so another "this is not " auction can be run?

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
I have had three people try to scam me with bogus money orders made out for several thousand dollars more than the price of an item I was selling online. This was not ebay it was an online antiques market place. All three of the people UPS'd the bogus money orders to me. One set of three bogus money orders was for a grand total of $4,900. I was only asking $300 for the item listed. Warning bells went off right away when I got the very first set of three "Speed Way" money oders. I called the company and they told me that all three had already been cashed for much less money and were no good. They also told me they didn't make out money orders in amounts that large. The last check I recieved was from a different prospective buyer and it was made out on a major "home lending" institution backed by the federal government. The Freddie Mac Corp.. I contacted them as soon as I recieved the check and as I had thought it too was bogus. They told me to get ahold of the FBI and so I did. My guess is that the sender of the checks would wait until I deposited them but they hadn't cleared and would inform me of his overpayment mistake and ask me to send or wire him the money back. Leaving me responsible to cover these worthless pieces of paper. To make this already long story a bit shorter, the FBI told me they didn't have time to be bothered for any interstate fraud of less than $50,000. Go figure. As long as you keep it in fairly small transactions you're ok.

bearswede

Reaction score
the FBI told me they didn't have time to be bothered for any interstate fraud of less than $50,000. Go figure. As long as you keep it in fairly small transactions you're ok.

Your federal govmint at work...NOT!!!

Ron

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown