Need advise cleaning

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
Some of you may remember I posted I bought case Gins on Sunday One has a oilly tar sticky like substance on the inside anyone have a way to safely clean the crap out of this bottle?

botlguy

Reaction score
Soak it for 24 to 48 hours (or longer if you want) in a mild solution of water and oxalic acid. Rinse with clear water and scrub gently with a bottle brush.

That's the short version, mixing instructions and some precautions are required, I suggest that you look through the Cleaning forum.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

Soak it for 24 to 48 hours (or longer if you want) in a mild solution of water and oxalic acid. Rinse with clear water and scrub gently with a bottle brush.

That's the short version, mixing instructions and some precautions are required, I suggest that you look through the Cleaning forum.
I was going to use THEWORKS toleit clean it has hydrochlric acid.. would that work?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
If it was reused for coal tar all I can say get ready for some serious work. I've had some and no solvent would put a dent in it.
Hot water and lots of changes and digging with a coat hanger did a lot. When it does get to a certain thinness then the paint thinner started to work for the finishing.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

If it was reused for coal tar all I can say get ready for some serious work. I've had some and no solvent would put a dent in it.
Hot water and lots of changes and digging with a coat hanger did a lot. When it does get to a certain thinness then the paint thinner started to work for the finishing.
Eric, I don't know what it is..brown sticky sludge on sides of bottle an the bottom has what looks like molassas but smells like gas/oil

epackage

Reaction score
Try nail polish remover, it gets a ton of stuff out and will do a great job softening and loosening up gunk... and it's CHEAP!![;)]

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
I agree with Eric, except for the hot water part. I have had more than my fair share crack due to quick temp changes, so I (always) advise room temp water to be safe. I use the coat hanger method with lots of paper towels and slowly drag the gunk out on pieces of paper towel, whatever will stuff inside and produces the most removal. I have also used Dawn liquid dish detergent, as their commercials are fairly accurate about the oil spills and cleaning off the critters. Usually good only for the endgame however, once the majority of gunk is gone and only water resistant residue remains. Most times however, nothing but the paper towel shreds and the coat hanger method work on the super nastys. That nice teal colored bottle in my latest thread had CEMENT in the upper 1/3 of the bottle! Took me 2 hours with just a coat hanger to eventually poke, grind and chisel away at it to get it out. Sometimes there just don't seem to be any good shortcuts.......Jack

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Eric, I don't know what it is..brown sticky sludge on sides of bottle an the bottom has what looks like molassas but smells like gas/oil
I'm guessing coal tar. In the 19th and earlier 20th century it was a common household material used for everything from medicine to sealing seams in gutters, starting coal fires and way beyond.
Try nail polish remover, it gets a ton of stuff out and will do a great job softening and loosening up gunk... and it's CHEAP!!
How is that non acetone stuff? I heard they were pulling acetone 'cause it's used to make drugs. Maybe that's just from the cosmetic areas of stores and you can still get it in gallons at auto parts stores?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

How is that non acetone stuff? I heard they were pulling acetone 'cause it's used to make drugs. Maybe that's just from the cosmetic areas of stores and you can still get it in gallons at auto parts stores?
I don't know how the non-acetone is but regular acetone works great...

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown