Need Help/Advice..thanks!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

microtech

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

I recently acquired about 90 old dug bottles from late 1880's and early 1900's that I am still in the process of cleaning etc. They are old medicine bottles ( Dr. Jaynes Expectorant etc. ), food jars, flasks ( a lot of warranted ones), whiskey bottles, wine, inks, shoe polish, and lots of pharmacy bottles. I have been doing research and most of them are worth only around 3 to 5 dollars with some being more valuable and some less. I would like to sell them but have no idea how to. Should I sell them as a lot? Would people be interested? Where do I find a buyer? I have sold some individual bottles on E-bay but the shipping and handling of a large lot would be difficult. Selling them one by one on E-bay also doesn't seem worth it because the individual bottles do not have that much value. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much!
[:)][:)][:)][:)]
below are some of the bottles I've cleaned so far.

Ge95034.jpg

Vt57391.jpg

microtech

Reaction score
another pic of bottles

Om34581.jpg

Attachments

• Om34581.jpg
    Om34581.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 77

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I started in the late 60's (I was about 10) and that was always a problem with commons. I gave them as presents and by the time I was 14 I gave them all to neighbors and cousins to try get them into it.

Bottles with town names may interest someone in particular. I've seen "lots" on ebay but they don't get much, mostly because of the shipping. Yard sales tend to fetch $2 at most for something remotely interesting, fleas not much better. If the cleaned up well and you just don't feel like re-burying them you could try a lot on ebay. Packing could be a nightmare. Smaller groups with one "nicer" one may help you clean out, keep the shipping cost down and be easier to pack.

Be carefull when packing. I bought two lots on ebay and they sent all 8 (8" tall or more each) in one box. 2 were in one piece of newspaper and another in a second. A little bubble wrap and some more newspaper finished it off. Crammed it all in one box with no side cushioning. Guess what happened on the way to MA from Florida.
That was for $12 in "handling fees" alone. Postage was extra. Wait, it gets worse. When they didn't respond to my complaints I left them their due Negative feedback. Of coarse they left me negatives as well. I got scre%6* and they left me negative feedback.

Yes, it's a rant, but fair warning also.

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hey Micro,

I may be interested in the whole lot if you could post some more pictures. Also, if I could arrange to pick them up personally. Where are you located? I am in Ontario Canada and could make the drive if you're in the East.

Brian

microtech

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

I live in New York City. I'll post more pictures of the lot as you requested as soon as possible. I'll take photos of small groupings and also write you a list/inventory of the bottles that have embossing.

all the best,
Elisa
Ps I've also sent you an e-mail.

microtech

Reaction score
Hi Cowseatmaize,

Thanks for your advice concerning E-bay. I recently sold one of my bottles , a warranted flask, for 3 dollars and $3 for shipping on E-bay. After I wrapped it well with bubble wrap and packed it in a box it ended up costing me $5 to ship! That did not include bubble wrap and packing costs so I probably did not make any money on it! Of course I got a A+++ from the buyer concerning my packing abilities. LOL

thanks again for responding!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu