Need Help Finding a Privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
We used to make probes from those old big 70s and 80's Fords, Mercurys, Chryslers, etc. The 5/16" spring steel tortion rods inside the trunk (under the back window) that held the trunk lids up. Requires some fabricating, tho. Or you can buy bottle probes outright.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Agree with Rick. I've bought 2 from him and they are great. His prices are very reasonable as well.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I think I got my probe from there. found 1860 privy first time out with it if I remember right. LEON.

foster2100

Reaction score
How well will they penetrate through clay, do you have to have a lot of force behind it? I understand the basic premise of it all I'm just wondering how it works in clay, we've got red clay here about 2 feet down, and then other types of clay.

nhpharm

Reaction score
We've got very hard clay down here in Texas...I ended up using a standard utility probe due to it's durability...I've had the same 6' probe now for 3.5 years and it is still going strong. The replaceable tips are a godsend in my opinion. You can get these utility probes from the following site:

http://www.mightyprobe.com/

If the clay is really hard you may need a hammer probe...you can get them from this site as well. They are a beast to handle but we've found some privies using it that we wouldn't have otherwise.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Foster, if there is a privy amongst all that clay, the probe will sink through the soil where it has been repacked. It would take many many years before Mother Nature could cover that privy with more clay to the point where you didn't know it was there. I deal with that same situation where I hunt. If you hit a privy, you'll be able to push the probe into it. 99% of the privies I find are because I sunk the probe nearly to the handle and hit something abrasive such as brick, glass, iron etc.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Just as a word of advice here, ALLWAYS use a probe that has been constructed by drilling a hole in one side of the pipe handle and inserting the spring steel into this hole, also use professionally made probes because when you are pushing down hard on a probe in clay you DEFINATELY do not want the probe to BREAK and stab you in the guts, thereby disembowling you and otherwise screw up a perfect day!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown