Need help with unlisted Rockford, Ill bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Just picked this up at auction and it is not listed on sodasandbeers.com. Was wondering if it is listed in the Illinois bottle book and what the approximate value would be.I collect Florida bottles, and picked this up as a trader. Embossing: (front) Hugo E. Kling / Rockford, / ILL. (rear) This Bottle / (more... not legible) I'll post more pics once I receive the bottle.
281a.jpg

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Hi I have seen this bottle a few times. It is not old enough to be listed in the Illinois bottle book. The book also doesn't list many blobs. The only ones I have seen have been torched though. This one looks very nice and I would be interested in it if it is ever available. Hard to tell if it is rare or not. I have about 6 blobs from Rockford and I have seen sooooo many more and in general Rockford has a ton of bottles so a collector from Rockford would sure know if it is rare or not.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Thanks for that.What do you mean by 'torched through?' I've never heard that expression.
How old do they have to be to be listed in the Illinois book?

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Torched means like destroyed and really nasty. The book lists bottles from 1840 to 1880. But it only lists really old meds and really old blobs, squats, and all the really older types of bottles.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Oh, ok.I found a record of one listed as 'tough' and selling on ebay.ca for over $500, but I was only briefly able to see it, then it crashed and I can't get the page back up. I can tell it was item # 301071445325, but I have no idea how to display it again to get an approximate date for that price.The hutch version is listed as rare, and I found that Hugo Kling was the local Koca-Nola bottler for a while as well. I will continue trying to see what I can come up with.Thanks!

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of money for a blob. I have seen the hutch before and it was pretty nice. That is some pretty interesting info you found there. If you are still interested in trading what would you be wanting for a trade for it?

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I'd like to get some more information about it before I trade it. But rest assured I will be getting rid of it though trade or sale.I collect Florida bottles, but it seems nobody has any to trade, so not sure what I'll be looking for yet.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
sodasandbeers did later aqua blobs for awhile at the beginning but it got too daunting, he hasn't included them in years. If they're pontil I think he still adds them.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's a "this bottle not to be sold" bottle, usually early 1890's - about 1910 or so.Was the ebay ca a buy it now and did it sell?Also if it was the one on fvstore, do not buy or even use that site. I think it's fake.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I saw the link for the fvstore one, but my browser won't open it. It had the same title as the ebay one, so thought it was just one of those sites that re-posts ebay auctions. As I recall, the ebay one had 30-something bids on it. But since it won't reopen I can't confirm that. When I try to go to it now it just takes me to a search for similar items. Problem was I didn't get to see the picture, so I can't confirm it was even the same bottle. I haven't found any indications that there was one with a pontil, though. Much of the low- and mid-range market has lost value over the past few years. Even if it was the same bottle and sold 3 years ago for that much, it might be only worth a fraction of that now. Thanks for that info, Eric!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown