Need info about Purity Excellence SBCO

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

B0ttleR0cket

Reaction score
This was recently found in the river. After a good cleaning, I found that the seam stops at the neck. I've seen the phrase Purity Excellence used on other bottles, but I can't find one that looks like this. Anyone have any info on this bottle? Thanks!

Attachments

• PurityExcellence.JPG
    PurityExcellence.JPG
    878.9 KB · Views: 122

K6TIM

Reaction score
This was recently found in the river. After a good cleaning, I found that the seam stops at the neck. I've seen the phrase Purity Excellence used on other bottles, but I can't find one that looks like this. Anyone have any info on this bottle? Thanks!

K6TIM

Reaction score
HI ,The bottle you have looks like a whiskey flask that is a sun colored purple.The bottle probably had a patina due to the water.Most of these patine don't come easily.The seam line on you bottle says it's blown in a mold sometime before the early 1900's before machine made bottles.The seam line on machine made types seam line goes all the way to top of the bottle including the bottle lip!

K6TIM

Reaction score
go on the internet type in the name of company and it will identify where it's from type in purity excellent see what you find?

epackage

Reaction score
It's possible the S.B. Co. is Shea, Bocqueraz & McKee, which was formed when Robert McKee joined the business. McKee is reported to have been the owner of the popular "Tea Kettle" brand that appears on many bottles from this period, but Mida identifies the registered owner to be J Levy & Bro. of Cincinnati, OH,. who had been using the "Kettle Distillery" logo since 1846 and the "Tea Kettle" brand since 1892. The distillery was located in Trimble County, KY.

Snyder attributes the brand to Richwood Distilling Co. of Cincinnati, OH (listed 1893-1913): the source of this information is not recorded, but was probably taken from an advertising flyer or brochure. The name of Robert McKee was dropped from Shea et al. c. 1885 following his death.

History indicates that the "Tea Cup" brand originated on April 1, 1891, with Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. listed as sole proprietors. The origins are unclear, but the name is clearly a nod to Tea Kettle, for which they were agents (so noted on their bottles).

Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. were originally located on Front Street which used to be on the waterfront, but after the 1906 fire the marsh was used for all the debris and later was completely filled in for the Panama Pacific International Exposition of 1915. It is now considered the "Wharf" in San Francisco.

Brand names used by this company include: "Astor", "Carlton (dry gin)", "Golden", "Roanoke", "Roanoke Rye - Honey & Horehound", "Springfield", "Tea Cup", "Tea Cup Extra Old Bourbon Whiskey", and "Tea Kettle."

Company name timeline:
Shea, Hussey & Co. (1868-1870), Shea, Bocqueraz & McKee (1871-1887), Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. (1888-1903), Shea, Bocqueraz Co. (1903-1917)

B0ttleR0cket

Reaction score
It's possible the S.B. Co. is Shea, Bocqueraz & McKee, which was formed when Robert McKee joined the business. McKee is reported to have been the owner of the popular "Tea Kettle" brand that appears on many bottles from this period, but Mida identifies the registered owner to be J Levy & Bro. of Cincinnati, OH,. who had been using the "Kettle Distillery" logo since 1846 and the "Tea Kettle" brand since 1892. The distillery was located in Trimble County, KY.

Snyder attributes the brand to Richwood Distilling Co. of Cincinnati, OH (listed 1893-1913): the source of this information is not recorded, but was probably taken from an advertising flyer or brochure. The name of Robert McKee was dropped from Shea et al. c. 1885 following his death.

History indicates that the "Tea Cup" brand originated on April 1, 1891, with Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. listed as sole proprietors. The origins are unclear, but the name is clearly a nod to Tea Kettle, for which they were agents (so noted on their bottles).

Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. were originally located on Front Street which used to be on the waterfront, but after the 1906 fire the marsh was used for all the debris and later was completely filled in for the Panama Pacific International Exposition of 1915. It is now considered the "Wharf" in San Francisco.

Brand names used by this company include: "Astor", "Carlton (dry gin)", "Golden", "Roanoke", "Roanoke Rye - Honey & Horehound", "Springfield", "Tea Cup", "Tea Cup Extra Old Bourbon Whiskey", and "Tea Kettle."

Company name timeline:
Shea, Hussey & Co. (1868-1870), Shea, Bocqueraz & McKee (1871-1887), Shea, Bocqueraz & Co. (1888-1903), Shea, Bocqueraz Co. (1903-1917)
Thanks very much for the info! I

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu