Need info on Lightning Jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LC

Reaction score
Getting ready for a sale this week , getting rid of bottles and jars I have had for a good many years . I have a half gallon amber Lightning fruit jar I have had for a good thirty years guessing . It looks like the number 417 on the bottom of the jar . I did a search on eBay with no luck as for finding one to see what they were selling for . My question is , is there a half gallon Lightning jar with the number 417 on the bottom , wondering if I am reading it wrong , the embossing is a bit light on the end of the number in question . Do the numbers have a lot to do with value of a jar or are all half gallons sell in the same range ? I see that colors as for yellow amber and so forth make a difference but this one looks like a regular amber color to me . Sorry for no pic , not possible at this time . Thanks in advance

botlguy

Reaction score
The only importance to the base numbers, in my opinion, is to tell if it's a reproduction or not. I am not up on repros so hopefully someone else will tell us it's an original. I've recently seen a medium amber 1/2 gal. LIGHTNING sit in an antique shop in Spokane, Wash. for 2 months priced at $85.00 if that helps. Jim

LC

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Jim , I appreciate it . Running myself ragged trying to get bready for this sale I am having this week . Seems everything I do a search on I come up empty , went ahead and priced a good many things on a whim being I can not find any listings on them when I search . Have tomorrow to finish up and be ready for the start of it on Wed . . I sat out a Chapin & Gore Sour Mash barrel whiskey , did a search on eBay and found one that went off for little of nothing . Might have to hang onto that one . Thanks again , if you are in the Sardinia area this week stop in a drink a cup of coffee with me lol .

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
L C said:
...did a search on eBay and found one that went off for little of nothing .
Which variant? They come in IT, cork, cork ABM. If IT, did it have the stopper? What color? Franks, Hawley or unmarked? Condition?A Hawley IT w/o the top went for about 90 at Spurgeon's last December.

LC

Reaction score
Thanks Cow , don't know exactly which variant it is . It has inside screw threads in the neck , regretfully did not find stopper with it when I dug it .

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello L.C. I do not have any glass piece wit that finish. Is it a hand blown item? Probably not,. I have concentrated on glass items made with a blowpipe and hand tools. I have collected glass for 77+years and concentrated on the hand blown glass. If you never read nmy home page - pllease do. I enjoy this forum and spend good four hours a day trying to help other collecter's with their unknows,ns RED M.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Redbook #10 lists amber Trademark Lightning at $60-$80 complete with glass lid and wire clamp. Maybe that helps. -Tammy

LC

Reaction score
Thanks much Tammy .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora