NEW ADDITIONS FROM THE PAST WEEK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
New to me stuff from this past week. Two porcelain beer bottle stoppers:
THE MANILLA ANCHOR BREW. CO. / DOBBS FERRY, N.Y.
SALT LAKE CITY BREWING CO. / (SALT LAKE CITY), UTAH
NewStoppers.jpg

Until this example I have never seen any embossed beer bottles from this company:
THE HIEBER BREWING & MALTING CO. / SPOKANE, WASHINGTON
NewBeerBackDoor.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
The NEWEST stuff from the past week:
ERNEST OCHS BREWERY / BROOKLYN porcelain stopper
Note the image of Mt. Etna blowing its top.
Ochs.jpg

NORTHAMPTON BREWING & BOTTLING CO. / NORTHAMPTON, PA
I do like the brewery hutchinsons.
Northampton.jpg

BARTHOLOMAY BREWERY // WASHINGTON, D.C. pint. This was a branch/depot for the Rochester, NY company.
Bartholomay.jpg

ROBERT PORTNER BREWING CO. / ALEXANDRIA, VA pony
The small size of this bottle it what makes it so interesting to me. I can't say that I had seen this variation in a pony.
Portner.jpg

The bottle industry was sort of a cut throat business. Quite often the bottles cost considerably more than their contents. There were even laws in some states that were in place making it illegal for a company to use bottles from another company. This example is a JOHN F. BETZ & SON embossed bottle from Philadelphia. That did not stop the COLD SPRING BREWING CO. of Lawrence, Mass. from pirating the bottle for their own usage.
Betz.jpg

Jstorm

Reaction score
View attachment 232646
View attachment 232647
BARTHOLOMAY BREWERY // WASHINGTON, D.C. pint. This was a branch/depot for the Rochester, NY company.
View attachment 232648
The small size of this bottle it what makes it so interesting to me. I can't say that I had seen this variation in a pony.
View attachment 232649
The bottle industry was sort of a cut throat business. Quite often the bottles cost considerably more than their contents. There were even laws in some states that were in place making it illegal for a company to use bottles from another company. This example is a JOHN F. BETZ & SON embossed bottle from Philadelphia. That did not stop the COLD SPRING BREWING CO. of Lawrence, Mass. from pirating the bottle for their own usage.
View attachment 232650
Nice uncleBruce!!

epackage

Reaction score
That oyster you picked up was put out by the William Foust Distillery in Glen Rock, Pa. That distillery did a lot of figural type containers. They did a potato, a ham, a turkey, a Billy club, a pretzel, a cigar, and several others that I can't remember off hand. That oyster was a good find and very desirable to the Foust collectors. I have one of their pretzels and it looks real. They started to produce the Nippers at the beginning of the Temperance period which in turn end up with the passing of the Volstead Act (PROHIBITION)....
FOUST DISTILLERY BILLY CLUB WHISKEY FIGURAL NIP FLASK BOTTLE - GLEN ROCK PA.jpg

Billy Club and Cigar

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Even the backgrounds look great. Damn that BB gun kid harassing the tray bears. (Send him to the carnival and let him shoot at the red star paper target.) Truly a memorable haul of treasures. An early Christmas present. Congrats.

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
View attachment 232646
View attachment 232647
View attachment 232648
View attachment 232649
View attachment 232650
Some states passed bottle piracy laws as early as the 1850s to protect bottlers from having their bottles reused by other bottlers. A bottler who went out of business could legally sell and transfer use of their bottles to another bottler. Hording bottles was also illegal and agents could come and seize not returned bottles. A bottle of beer could sell for 5 cents but the bottle could cost the bottler 7 to 9 cents. Therefore, losing money on bottles which were not returned.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky