New beer bottle closure discovered: Morgenstern

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobtop

Reaction score
Here are two bottles from the same brewer
Loewer Lager & Weiss.jpg
Loewer Lager 1.jpg
Loewer Weiss Beer 4.jpg
Valentine Loewer shown in the original post in this thread. The larger one is embossed with Lager Bier and the smaller embossed with Weiss Bier. The Lager has the Morgenstern closure as shown in the patent drawing above. The smaller has fragments of a closure similar to the one that started this thread. It seems Loewer used both stoppers. The research I have seems to indicate that the evolution from one to the other was the reverse of the speculation in the above comments in this thread. It shows the closure on the Weiss Bier was dated 1873 and the one on the Lager Bier was dated 1874. At this stage we can only speculate on the relative strength and convenience of each design.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Not sure I ever seen those type of Closures, real oddball looking. Thanks for the Pics. LEON.

Skoda

Reaction score
Here are two bottles from the same brewer View attachment 221413View attachment 221414View attachment 221415Valentine Loewer shown in the original post in this thread. The larger one is embossed with Lager Bier and the smaller embossed with Weiss Bier. The Lager has the Morgenstern closure as shown in the patent drawing above. The smaller has fragments of a closure similar to the one that started this thread. It seems Loewer used both stoppers. The research I have seems to indicate that the evolution from one to the other was the reverse of the speculation in the above comments in this thread. It shows the closure on the Weiss Bier was dated 1873 and the one on the Lager Bier was dated 1874. At this stage we can only speculate on the relative strength and convenience of each design.

Wow, this is incredible to see! Thank you for posting these. I can totally see the other version as being a potential improvement with how sturdy that single bent metal band looks. Very very cool that both versions went into some degree of production and were used by this brewer over such a relatively short period of time.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora