New- cobalt Riddle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

opmustard

Reaction score
Beautiful bottle! I certainly would not tumble if it were mine. Looks plenty nice as is. Moreover, I'd be concerned that tumbling would remove much of the evidence of it having been attached to an iron pontil when manufactured.
Thank you the compliment on my bottle. I have decided NOT to tumble this soda, its good enough the way it is.
Tumbled a lot of iron pontiled sodas & mineral waters and was able to keep the iron intact on the pontil without harming the bottle. There numerous was of keeping the iron intact when tumbling.
I recently got a response from a fellow member on protecting the iron. It worked really well and I will be using his method from now on most of my iron pontils.
Here is a Farland iron pontiled soda that I dug out of privy awhile ago. It was really in bad shape, but as you can see that all the iron remained intact after it was tumbled heavily.
opmustard
Beautiful bottle! I certainly would not tumble if it were mine. Looks plenty nice as is. Moreover, I'd be concerned that tumbling would remove much of the evidence of it having been attached to an iron pontil when manufactured.

Attachments

• IMG_4027[1].JPG
    IMG_4027[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4030[1].JPG
    IMG_4030[1].JPG
    670.6 KB · Views: 73

bottles_inc

Reaction score
Thank you the compliment on my bottle. I have decided NOT to tumble this soda, its good enough the way it is.
Tumbled a lot of iron pontiled sodas & mineral waters and was able to keep the iron intact on the pontil without harming the bottle. There numerous was of keeping the iron intact when tumbling.
I recently got a response from a fellow member on protecting the iron. It worked really well and I will be using his method from now on most of my iron pontils.
Here is a Farland iron pontiled soda that I dug out of privy awhile ago. It was really in bad shape, but as you can see that all the iron remained intact after it was tumbled heavily.
opmustard
What's the method?

willong

Reaction score

Please share the method with the rest of us. This site is about learning as well as enjoying photos and tales of adventure!

opmustard

Reaction score
Here is the part of the post that I received explaining the pontil protection.
I put a tin can lid and silicone in place. Do not get the silicone on the pontil only the base edge. Roughen up the can with sandpaper. I use a 12 inch quick clap to hold until dry. The silicone comes off easily enough. I pick and pull most off with my finger nails. A razor blade or scouring pad should work.I have a home made tumbler.
If you would like to read the entire post, go to cleaning forum and look for my post about cleaning iron pontils.
I made some small adjustments to this method mainly because of my tumbling machine (a JarDoctor tumbler) and my canisters were a little different.
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, but my computer sucks.
opmustard

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora