NEW EBAY SCAM

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shadahoochie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone! I have just recently opened an account with both e-bay and pay pal, so it is nice to know that there are these scams going on, I don't want to get ripped off, if i hear of any i will post it.

Thanks again

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
Hey ol bud, no talkie in long time. Lost computers hard drive and all info in windows ph book with email and ph no's. I get emails on by bidders id in Ebay from Paypal wanting me to update my account, but the idiots dont know I have a sellers id, and that is where my info is setup. So here is a good idea, have one for selling and another for bidding on Ebay, thats what I do
near houston.

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
Also, watch out for idiots saying 2nd chance reply, when someone else wins the bid, and you supposedaly get a 2nd chanec offer from the seller, dont do it, 99% of time its a scam. I was bidding on a owl cobalt blue bottle and the other bidder kept raising bid every time I bid!!, so looked at her other closed bids of the past, and all she had bid on was kis clothes/toys, so she won the bid, and about 2 minutes after the auction ended, I get email from the seller saying other bidder was not going to pay for it, and wanted me to buy it on a 2nd chance offer, I nicely told her no thanks!! Did other bidder jack the price up or what!!

PATTY

Reaction score
I have one that if you have a ebay store you need to watch out for. Be careful of people who do this. They bid on items after the auction is over. OR when some other ebayer won it. . Then they somehow get access to the item to pay for it, through paypal. so it looks like you have to refund them , then when you go to there is record of them being the buyer!!. Also be aware of the un confirmed addresses. Some people steal othre people's information to buy goods and charge it on paypal. . I had a lady tell me that that happened . Also, dont ever start your auctions out low(if you dont know that already) Do you know what people do:? when your auction ends they waite and purchase your item at that price. They can too! So if you list your Bottle for 35 cents BEWARE.! if it doesn't sell ,because a slick person can come in and buy it for that 35 cents!!start at a reasonable amount, dont be fooled. there are slick people out for your stuff. I had that happen to me with 3 books . I couldnt do nothing. Also if its too good to be true , it is, read there feedback. Also email other members . I had a guy ask me ahead of time for feedback , that was a tell tale sign , he was up to no good , he ended up giving me a bad item . he sent me cardboard covers without records. the listing stated records.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Hey Sean,

I doubt most of the members on this forum Know what a UNIX box is let alone PINE. LOL

Chris

ORIGINAL: amblypygi

You can pretty much assume that any email from paypal or ebay that threatens to cancel your account is a scam. These should be forwarded with the complete header information to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com.

The safest thing is simply never follow a link in an email message. Anything that you need to know about your account is available by just logging in as you normally do, so just forward or delete any emails about your account and log in yourself to check if everything is ok. 99.9% of the time it will be fine and the email was a scam.

You shouldn't let these scams sour you on an ebay account though, once you figure out how to deal with them they are easy to avoid. For example, you could adopt the dinosaur approach that I use: PINE. I use an ancient email program that runs on the UNIX box that handles my email, I am completely immune to all email virus attacks. Attachments are a pain, but it's still worth the trouble if you ask me, I seldom get attachments I need anyway.

Sean

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The safest thing is simply never follow a link in an email message. Anything that you need to know about your account is available by just logging in as you normally do, so just forward or delete any emails about your account and log in yourself to check if everything is ok. 99.9% of the time it will be fine and the email was a scam.

That is very good advice from amblypygi. Probably the best that can be given for dealing with ebay/paypal emails. Replying to them isnt going to accomplish much since they are going to be coming from fake email addresses and/or send only accounts.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hi Barqs19,
It is my understanding that if the email is send to you from either ebay or paypal and it doesn't appear in your ebay email account, then its probably bogus. If someone has a problem with you about anything, then they should contact the two above mentioned parties. Both parties will contact you and let you know if someone has contacted them concerning you.
Don't open the emails, first check your email accounts to see if they are real. Only ebay and paypal can really take any action for or against you.
My wife closed her paypal accounts because the bogus emails were getting to be bothersome and there were just too many being sent to her.
We no longer have about 90% of those bogus emails anymore.
Stinger

antiqueguy11

Reaction score
here is how you know if you are receiving the email from ebay or not. Well, not how you know, but a good way to check.

www.ebay.com
1 2 3

if part 2-3 are the in the email address then you should be okay, but not if the email address is something like ebay-team.com. Then you really know you are being done over.

epgorge

Reaction score
When I get those I send them to ebay and ask them if its real. None of them have been so far.

You could send a picture of your dog to the spoof bot and they will tell you the same thing back everytime. Then give you instructions on how to prevent that type of Fraud.

Ep

towhead

Reaction score
the other bidder kept raising bid every time I bid!! [unquote]

Sometimes it appears that every time you bid, someone keeps raising the bid. However, sometimes it is not quite what it appears to be. Sometimes, when interested in an item, a person will enter their maximum bid-esp if they cannot be near the computer when the Auction is ending-but only the minimum bid will show unless someone else starts bidding. So, everytime you bid, it says you have been outbid, because EBay automatically will bid for the absent person up to the other person's max bid. So this situation could be honest.

Well, I can see I don't know how to use the quote option![:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac