New guy with new guy questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dink1957

Reaction score
The most interesting thing I see is that large aqua insulator on the top shelf, if that is an insulator. Need a close up of that.
This picture has an average sized insulator in between two large ones because I thought that would give you a better idea of how big they are... I have tons of insulators and a whole bunch of big ones like that as well
16178720742266066343492985861624.jpg

willong

Reaction score
...if I got a dollar for each insulator and bottle I have, then I would be close to financing my trip ...

On average, though I don't actually attempt to track the insulator market, I believe your insulators will average more than a dollar each.

Because the majority seem to be slicks (bottles not adorned with embossed brand advertisement and/or images) with a high percentage of machine-made examples, I'm afraid most of the bottles will likely languish unsold unless there is a strong flea market interest for such "home decor" items in your area. That's just my somewhat (or significantly) out-of-date opinion. Hopefully, a few other members will chime in to provide you a better, more contemporaneous evaluation.

Dink1957

Reaction score
Well I do have a bunch of embossed bottles...I'll seperate them and take some pictures...I just came across one with an owl on it and on the other side it say "the owl drug co" and those letters are embossed...I really appreciate that info because most people are afraid to hurt feelings and say my bottles arent worth crap...I know I got 20 or so bottles worth a decent amount but they need to be cleaned and sold to just the right person...it really helps when someone such as yourself tells me things the way they are...but I do understand that in today's world, people get their little feelings hurt very easily

American

Reaction score
Well I do have a bunch of embossed bottles...I'll seperate them and take some pictures...I just came across one with an owl on it and on the other side it say "the owl drug co" and those letters are embossed...I really appreciate that info because most people are afraid to hurt feelings and say my bottles arent worth crap...I know I got 20 or so bottles worth a decent amount but they need to be cleaned and sold to just the right person...it really helps when someone such as yourself tells me things the way they are...but I do understand that in today's world, people get their little feelings hurt very easily
The Owl Drug bottle is a keeper. There is an individual market for Owl Drug with people that only collect Owl Drug.

American

Reaction score
Hey I thought I sent you a reply with a picture of those insalators but somehow the reply I sent to someone else and the reply I was trying to send you was sent to "willong"...anyways, here it is againView attachment 222915View attachment 222915
Let me say first that I am not an expert on insulators, but if you collect bottles long enough you get an idea of what insulators are valuable. I am still thinking that large aqua one is good one. What is the embossing on it? The other insulators look to be of the common variety.

KSESTATE

Reaction score
Well heres my 2c worth, Amethyst glass is clear with impurities in them Maganease to be exact. And with that clearr glass turns purple under sunlight. Since most of the maganease was from Germany WW1 stopped that. Many Desert bottle turn a great deep purple with the sun So the insulator is made pre WW1 and was jut hanging around in the sun for years for the color The key to collecting bottles and glass is :Collect what you like, If its sodas, milk, whiskeys, perfumes. or just the local home town offerings. and especially the ones that have a meaning full story , you and your father. If you want there is a web sight for the National bottle federation, (fohbc) FEDERATION OF HISTORICAL BOTTLE COLLECTORS more people with many interests and full of knowledge. There may also be a local bottle club where you can find like minded people to discuss the hobby Well another chapter for ho to read Welcome to the club

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18