New here and gifted a bunch of bottles!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
There are good ones, and am glad you won't just throw them away like some people do. Or, as I once heard, one guy smashes ones he doesn't like with a golf club then buries their remains in the hole he dug them from. Sickening. First of all, he just littered dangerous shards of glass, secondly, someone else might have wanted those. Thirdly, what the heck makes him so violent?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The big thing to consider is - If there are seams on the finish, the top portion of he bottle for closure - it is an ABM Automatic 'bottle machine product and noi really collectable unless it is an interesting figural bottle. RED M.

Old Hickory

Reaction score
Remember what Beloch said in the first "Indiana Jones" movie, something like, "This watch, $5.00 from any street vendor, but I bury it in the sand for 1,000 years, and it becomes priceless!" That's pretty much how I look at the less disireable bottles, (and other things). Maybe not 1,000 years, but possibly in my grand-son's time. I'm just keeping a little alive and undisturbed. I'm starting to learn some things here, like the seems and tops. I expect to be educated here.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I am looking for bottles that were made, hand blown, in turn molds where there are vertical stress lines in the glass, under an applied tooled finish. They can be borrowed, pictured, or what ever. I just get into these characteristics of how bottles were made. I have three examl;es of these marks.I also have a bottle with abut 40 vertical black lines around the straight body of the bottle cylinder; that I can not explain - because I don't know what caused them. One bottle marked like that, out of over 2000 collected - is a thought twister. RED Matthews

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I had just been looking through a book of games that had a name game in it, mentioning him--like that morning.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Roy; The first thing to explain to you is that the top closure part of a bottle is called the finish. If you study the glass in that part of a bottle, and see two vertical seams on the glass, those seams tell you that - that part of the glass was formed in the neckring and guide ring of an Automatic Bottle Machine....(ABM) and not worth keeping - unless it is fancy to your liking.. If you send me your email address, I have a little write-up that tells you what most bottle collectors are looking for.Basically we are into are bottles that were blown on a blow-pipe.RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown