New here & to collecting - But found great dig sites what got me started

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepDown

Reaction score
Due to Mosquitoes we haven't been out there for few weeks now.. Most likely not going back until fall or spring. It a swampy woods. Mosquitoes just unreal out there. But all the Bottles we found from our favorite spot is 1890 to 1930's... The Fruit Jars only ones finding before 1890. I think it was very first dump site for Gary, Indiana... when they built US Steel and made the city. Because US steel was built in 6 yrs roughly and opened in 1906 and most of Gary 1906 to 1910... Then we have another spot further from lake.. which has more earlier 1800;s. But more broken stuff. Harder to sort thru. Seem the best condition bottle find there. Still has cracks or chips. Just not main great shape ones.. --- our 1890 to 1930 spot... Nobody been there forever... There no sign of people been there in over 50+ years... You don't find anything later then 1930's. They just in much better condition.. Don't even have to dig.. But we tried digging... all the same stuff just keep going deeper in the ground. But you can grab 100, 1910-1930 bottles just standing in 1 spot on the ground.... there so many... But being our spot so close off Lake Michigan... Somebody had to be transporting across the lake near there before that city made... Got to be an old port around there. Such there had to be houses before the city was made... There many old foundations scattered all around there. no way to even date they so old . and had to be torn down in 30's. ---- But I'd take $2 or $3 each just for selling wise.... I'd be rich. I can get thousand bottles a day from there and think I never make a dent in them... there so many. (the fruit jar got me collecting them.. was just everywhere.. Fill a tote in 5 minutes 1858 pat ones, no digging.. just everywhere) -- But they very well guarded with mosquitoes, swampy land and snakes and it a bit of hike thru it all... They'll still be there in fall & spring.. Then going to check around those foundations more.. next time.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So DeepDown: I am most interested in glass bottles and pitchers with applied glass handles. If you have been to my home page - You would know about my life in glass makimg. I keep digging into different glass making method developments. Right now I am trying to collect early glass with applied handles. Early bottles that were made in turn molds, especially where there were one inch vertical lines under the applied glass finishes. These lines were formed when the bottlemaker turned the glass in the mold - to eliminate or reduce the mold seam marks. I just get off on tangents of how the glass items were made. RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

hemihampton

Reaction score
I know I have seen some pre prohibition beer bottles that were ABM 1905-1919 get a few hundred $$$'s. BUT, Only if it had a nice paper label. It's not likely you'll dig one with nice paper label. DeepDown, If you need help in the fall around October let me know. I don't mind digging 1930's dumps. Let me know? LEON.

DeepDown

Reaction score
HI RED,Really have not found much of anything with Handles... so far. No Pitchers, not many jugs, and no Glassware/kitchen ware stuff. But will keep a look out for them. Mainly been fruit jars, soda & beer bottles, Milk Bottles, wine bottles, medicine stuff bottles etc.. But I'll also let my brother know.. He the one who finds the spots. Bring back the stuff I ask for or unique. I go when not working or when he wants me to check out an area he think might be good. But I'll tell him to keep an eye out for that kind of stuff. Hi Leon,October is about the time.. We be going back in woods exploring and look for more bottles.... When the leaves start falling and easier to make way thru the woods. And not getting attacked by mosquitoes.. And the spots we know of already.. They are HUGE. So your more than welcome to come join in. My brother and his friend goes. I go when not working.. and my brother like bringing his cheap labour help. Basically have them carry the stuff we pile up back to truck.. . .. And the woods are huge. I sure there even more bottle spots out there haven't found yet.. We might not even found the best spots yet.. But I do like 2 of the spots we found so far..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp