New ice blue Ryan added today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GAjosh

Reaction score
Been looking for this one a while...

Attachments

• 20220630_140616.jpg
    20220630_140616.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 135

GAjosh

Reaction score
That is a great looking bottle.
Iron or graphite pontil?

Welcome. Roy
Thanks. Its the only color variation in the 2"letter Ryans that I know of. Lucked up on a good example.

Reactions: Roy

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That is a really nice example of a great looking bottle! Love it, thanks for posting the pic.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

sandchip

Reaction score
That is a great looking bottle.
Iron or graphite pontil?

Welcome. Roy
Hey Roy. Just to clarifiy matters, iron and graphite pontils are one and the same. "Graphite" pontil is an inaccurate and misleading term that somehow gained a foothold in our hobby decades ago and refuses to die. There is no such thing. The black deposit is an oxide of iron left by the pontil rod. If one watches a blacksmith at work, you can actually see the iron oxide(scale) forming as the hot iron combines directly with the oxygen in the air. The pontil rod was heated red hot so that it would adhere to the base of the bottle and as it was removed, the oxide or scale stuck to the glass. The varying amounts of iron oxide on different IP bottles is the subject for another day. You'll see descriptions like, "No iron(oxide) remaining..." It was never there in the first place...

GAjosh

Reaction score
Hey Roy. Just to clarifiy matters, iron and graphite pontils are one and the same. "Graphite" pontil is an inaccurate and misleading term that somehow gained a foothold in our hobby decades ago and refuses to die. There is no such thing. The black deposit is an oxide of iron left by the pontil rod. If one watches a blacksmith at work, you can actually see the iron oxide(scale) forming as the hot iron combines directly with the oxygen in the air. The pontil rod was heated red hot so that it would adhere to the base of the bottle and as it was removed, the oxide or scale stuck to the glass. The varying amounts of iron oxide on different IP bottles is the subject for another day. You'll see descriptions like, "No iron(oxide) remaining..." It was never there in the first place...
Ive been waiting on this comment. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roy

Roy

Reaction score
Thanks sandchip I have read about iron pontils and forgotten that. I needed a refresher.... I won't forget this time. Roy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado