New member and new to bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike Lyons

Reaction score
I’m in my 40’s and when I was little, I used to hunt arrowheads while my dad hunted bottles. He’s getting up in age and i would like to do something nice for him and maybe gain some knowledge. He used to be extremely proud of an ear of corn and plantation bitters bottle he had in his collection. He dug them up in a city dump. I’ve been able to find the plantation bottle but I’m having a hard time locating the ear of corn bottle. Hopefully I can get some direction on here and not catch the bug too bad. Thanks in advance for allowing me to join the forum and I look forward to the advice I receive here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Welcome to the group. I hope someone more experienced than me can give you the guidance you need.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That ear of corn will be a pricey one (assuming you're referring to the National Bitters figural bottle). If someone doesn't come along on here who's interested in selling one you could try asking around on some of the Facebook groups or otherwise just keep an eye on the auctions. Looks like they do come up for sale from time to time so it'll mostly be a matter of how much you're willing to spend. One sold a few months ago on Ebay for US$900.

Mike Lyons

Reaction score
Yes, that’s the one. It’s a National Bitters. I found one for $1300 online but figured I’d watch the auctions. I’m not wanting one that bad yet. There’s a really nice TIPPECANOE on there right now. Does anyone on here make drinking glasses out broken bottles? It would be nice to find a National Bitters drinking glass.

Last edited:

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Unless you are wanting and willing to get into untold hours and labor of legit research and work for the possibility (ZERO guarantee!) of finding a specific bottle, look onto ebay or the WTB section.

It is a labor of love.
If it was solely about bottles (for me), I would have a nonsensical collection for the hours involved in the pursuit.

Mike Lyons

Reaction score
Unless you are wanting and willing to get into untold hours and labor of legit research and work for the possibility (ZERO guarantee!) of finding a specific bottle, look onto ebay or the WTB section.

It is a labor of love.
If it was solely about bottles (for me), I would have a nonsensical collection for the hours involved in the pursuit.

Thanks. I’ve had an obsession with WWII firearms that lead into revolutionary war items and early PA flintlock rifles for many years. I don’t need the bottle bug but, they do spark my interest and I have some knowledge that was passed down to me from my dad. It’s not much but, I do remember a few bottles that he would show me. Something about a couple of them has always stuck with me and remind me of some good times.

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I just mean that if you are looking for something rare and specific, and not into digging, just buy it.

Digging is good stuff though (not everyone's cup of tea).

hemihampton

Reaction score

THE BEAR

Reaction score
Yes, that’s the one. It’s a National Bitters. I found one for $1300 online but figured I’d watch the auctions. I’m not wanting one that bad yet. There’s a really nice TIPPECANOE on there right now. Does anyone on here make drinking glasses out broken bottles? It would be nice to find a National Bitters drinking glass.

You can buy a bottle cutter on E-bay. Back in my youth I use to make them. Came out great. Sand the drinking edge and you're set.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

From what I've seen, it looks like it's tough to do with the thin glass of older medicine bottles. I mostly see it done with thick beverage bottles. And high-end bottles like the Ear of Corn can be worth something even with the top badly damaged, so I don't think it would be worth it to try to make a glass out of it unless a big chunk of the bottle was missing.

That $300 one is pretty promising though, even with the damage that's a surprisingly low price, and the damage wasn't that bad. So you may find a more reasonable price on one yet if you keep your eyes out.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora