New member from northern Michigan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pointer80

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member from northern Michigan. I am a avid metal detectorist and love all kinds of treasure hunting and would love to try my hand at privy digging. I have never dug a privy but I am looking forward to learning and giving it a try. I am in the process of making some probes right now. I am also looking forward to chatting with everyone on the forum and also getting any help I can. Thanks all and HH.

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Tim. I can't give you much help as it's been over 35 years since I've dug a privy but I had to take the opportunity to welcome you. It may be a bit tough to get started unless you have a local mentor, fellow digger or a great, untouched area. Try to find a set of local Sanborn Fire Insurance maps, that helps pin down locations. Learn to tell the age of houses by the style of architecture and how to look for abandoned privies on the ground. Don't overlook large dumping areas, that's a great way to start and it's often easier digging / finding than privies. Use the correct tools & caution. Don't dig alone. Good Luck, have fun and come back and tell us how you do. Jim

sunrunner

Reaction score
this is all good advice . I may also add get to know you soil types in your area . like if its mostly sand or clay,ect..

LisaTammy

Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I am from the U.p. up by Sault Ste. Marie. I have dug a privy or two but up here it seems they preferred to just throw the garbage out the back door lol. Lisa

sunrunner

Reaction score
Lisa in rural arias that seems to be the cases. especially when winter hit and nobody wanted to walk to fare . and anyway there trash was cleaner back 65or 70 years ago.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Welcome here! I gave another Michigan detector quite the fright today--claims I "darn near gave me [him] a heart attack." I hope you enjoy your time and dig lots of bottles! Fall's coming, which is the nicest time in terms of temperature for such activities. [:D] I'm sure you'll find me quite strange, might I add.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I know there is another Metal Detector in northern Michigan. In Iron Mountain in U.P. Whats the name of the town you live in, is it in U.P or northern L.P. Welcome. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora