New member hello/introduction: a bit about me and my collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shades of History

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Garret, and I'm new to the forum but not to collecting antique bottles and jars. I first started collecting as a kid here in California in the late 90's when I found some old '30s bottles across the street in the desert, and I also bought a few at antique stores, a couple of which were pre-1900. I put my collection away for the longest time, and sold all but the best few of the 30's bottles and the couple 1800's ones I had to antique stores when I started collecting again a few years ago with an emphasis on pre-1900 bottles and jars.

I have not found any good dig sites around my town, but maybe some day that will change. I have, however, found some great deals at local antique stores and online and have a nice little collection going. My collection is small and expands at a steady pace because I'm not constantly just buying bottles(as much fun as that would be). I don't have the space or necessarily the funds all the time. My emphasis is on what I feel are budget bottles(mostly in the 20-$40 range with the most expensive ones maxing out at about $100). I find it a thrill to hunt for the best "bang for the buck" and get truly unique pieces for good prices.

I'm pretty discerning about what bottles I buy online, I really tend to go for uncommon and unique bottles, especially odd and rare colors and features. I have a couple nice embossed bottles but my focus is more on unembossed ones, because I find as a rule of thumb there's less of a "known" rarity and established baseline price, and I can find unembossed bottles that are unique and outstanding for a lot less most of the time. I've got a little bit of everything, from some early pontils, whiskies, colored milk glass jars, medicines, colognes mostly from the late 1800's with some earlier stuff like a big 1700's utility bottle and a couple early machine made bottles with great color.

I haven't joined a forum for this particular hobby yet, and this seems like a cool and active community. There's a couple questions I have about some of my bottles I think I could get some help with, but also there's a lot I just want to share pictures of, and see pictures of other people's cool stuff too! I'll be jumping in soon with a couple bottles I have the questions about, and with some pics of my best bottles while checking out all the action here. Hope to chat soon, and happy New Year to everyone!

yacorie

Reaction score
Welcome and can’t wait to see some pics of your collection.

Shades of History

Reaction score
I'm going through a bit of expansion and need to clean these dusty shelves and dust off my bottles! Besides a few peripheral items on other shelves or in the garage like black glass beers and more common medicines, this is my whole collection in a nutshell(except that top shelf which is other nick-nacks and stuff obviously) I'll be introducing a few of them individually on "prized possessions" and there's a couple I actually have questions about, though most of them I know what's what so I can share and inform. If anyone has a question about an individual item I can show an individual pic and discuss it, so let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 107

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members