New Member, New (old) bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RoyalRuby

Reaction score
Did a little more googling, this time census records but I was able to find one of the William McDermotts. Probably a son since census records for 1910 show he was a coal miner at 43 years old & in 1920 he was in wholesale liquor & then 1930 his occupation was listed as beer g....something, can't make out the handwriting. Still no results on the bottle but once covid19 has run its course I'll try to go to the county historical society & see if they have any dirt. I'll go back to the Sanborn maps tomorrow & focus on Jermyn 3rd ward if I can
I think the Sanborn maps I was looking at were dated 1915, most likely just after the brewery existed.

Mikeybonez28

Reaction score
I think the Sanborn maps I was looking at were dated 1915, most likely just after the brewery existed.

I had found a few from different years, I believe 1906 was 1 but in one of the posts here the brewery was listed as being in old forge township as well. Either way knowing the location only helps so much. I think my best bet is going to be the county historical society whenever they reopen. Given the bottles location it could have been pitched from a train (unlikely since it was intact) or dropped by someone working on the RR or telegraph or power lines. I don't know enough about the lines to know the difference lol. I also have an email in to Corning glass museum & another bottle digger/buyer in PA so maybe those will help shed some light as well

BrentC

Reaction score
Did a little more googling, this time census records but I was able to find one of the William McDermotts. Probably a son since census records for 1910 show he was a coal miner at 43 years old & in 1920 he was in wholesale liquor & then 1930 his occupation was listed as beer g....something, can't make out the handwriting. Still no results on the bottle but once covid19 has run its course I'll try to go to the county historical society & see if they have any dirt. I'll go back to the Sanborn maps tomorrow & focus on Jermyn 3rd ward if I can
I grew up in Jermyn, PA. There is a bar called Bottlers at the corner of Deleware and Chestnut called Bottlers. It is right next to the train tracks (probably near where you found the bottle). This is where the McDermott bottle originated. It has been there for quite a while. I have a blob and a hutch with the same name. If you decide to sell it, let me know. I would be interested in adding it to my collection.

Mikeybonez28

Reaction score
I grew up in Jermyn, PA. There is a bar called Bottlers at the corner of Deleware and Chestnut called Bottlers. It is right next to the train tracks (probably near where you found the bottle). This is where the McDermott bottle originated. It has been there for quite a while. I have a blob and a hutch with the same name. If you decide to sell it, let me know. I would be interested in adding it to my collection.

I emailed the Jermyn historical society & they gave me the same information. When I punched in McDermott nothing came up in the area but they did give me a descendant's phone # so I'll try calling later today. Bottlers has been been around as a pub & bottler for 125 years, according to the historical society

I kind of want to sell it but I also want to keep it, there's nothing to be found online about this so I have no idea what a fair price would even be. I don't know how many they made, how many are still surviving or how long these particular bottles were made for

I found it 1/2 mile or so from where the tavern is, God only knows who pitched it there though or how long it sat before I found it.

BrentC

Reaction score
I emailed the Jermyn historical society & they gave me the same information. When I punched in McDermott nothing came up in the area but they did give me a descendant's phone # so I'll try calling later today. Bottlers has been been around as a pub & bottler for 125 years, according to the historical society

I kind of want to sell it but I also want to keep it, there's nothing to be found online about this so I have no idea what a fair price would even be. I don't know how many they made, how many are still surviving or how long these particular bottles were made for

I found it 1/2 mile or so from where the tavern is, God only knows who pitched it there though or how long it sat before I found it.

There was a train station across Chestnut St from the tavern. Maybe someone wanted a drink and tossed the empty bottle off the train. That is how I ended up with the blob top one. It was almost to NY.

I have heard these selling at flea markets from $15 to $20. Not sure how accurate that is. These were probably made between the early 1900's and prohibition. I am not sure if they started again after Prohibition was repealed.

Mikeybonez28

Reaction score
There was a train station across Chestnut St from the tavern. Maybe someone wanted a drink and tossed the empty bottle off the train. That is how I ended up with the blob top one. It was almost to NY.

I have heard these selling at flea markets from $15 to $20. Not sure how accurate that is. These were probably made between the early 1900's and prohibition. I am not sure if they started again after Prohibition was repealed.

You would think if you pitch a bottle from a moving train at a power pole even at low speed that it would shatter or at least crack.

I think at that price point I'll hold onto it, it looks pretty good in my "finds" cabinet. Speaking of, I need a new bulb for it. I gotta remember to call them tomorrow, today was too hectic

BrentC

Reaction score
You would think if you pitch a bottle from a moving train at a power pole even at low speed that it would shatter or at least crack.

I think at that price point I'll hold onto it, it looks pretty good in my "finds" cabinet. Speaking of, I need a new bulb for it. I gotta remember to call them tomorrow, today was too hectic

Sounds good. Keep looking for more finds.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown