New or old??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
Usually I am pretty good at telling the age of these things but I cant figure this out. Its a orange jar with a imperfect lip and no seam but I am just very confused on how old it could have been. Any help would be apprieciated. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I would have said modern decorative piece. However, it's interesting that it appears to have a ground neck for a glass stopper. Take it you didn't get the stopper in the deal?

Jim G

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
I would have said modern decorative piece. However, it's interesting that it appears to have a ground neck for a glass stopper. Take it you didn't get the stopper in the deal?

Jim G
No but I can tell it was a ground stopper. Thats the main thing that confuses me

Nickneff

Reaction score
Usually I am pretty good at telling the age of these things but I cant figure this out. Its a orange jar with a imperfect lip and no seam but I am just very confused on how old it could have been. Any help would be apprieciated. :)
It looks new to me 2 usually a piece has ware on the bottom I don't see any ware on the bottom my opinion it's new but it has a nice color maybe I'm color blind but it looks more yellow than orange to me it's still cool nice color

BottleEnthusiast

Reaction score
It looks new to me 2 usually a piece has ware on the bottom I don't see any ware on the bottom my opinion it's new but it has a nice color maybe I'm color blind but it looks more yellow than orange to me it's still cool nice color
Yes its a very good marble jar

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don't see any bottom, much less wear. Nonetheless, I agree that this appears to be a modern decorative piece. Too bad the lid is missing.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Base wear is at best an indifferent indicator of age. I have several pontiled utility inks, definitely period pieces, with obvious 1850s era labels, with little or no base wear. If it was used once and put in the back of the desk, it won't have any wear. If it was a working piece, like a milk pitcher, then it should absolutely have that "slid across the table hundreds of times" wear.

the form and shape just don't look quite right for an old piece. Maybe a 20th century countertop bottle, like from the old pharmacies, where they sold candy and stuff? But it seems too small for that... And for one of those the wear should be there...

Jim G

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
They were hand blowing Lab equipment for years after the ABM was invented, but most of what I have seen are clear. I always wonder if this kind of puzzler came from overseas.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu