New to bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
The green bottle has no markings but I see seams and bubbles
The second bottle is iridescent and on the bottom it's stamped A.B. Co B16
The third bottle says "this bottle shall not be sold" and has a cork. Bottom is stamped S.B.&C. Co.
The last bottle is from Ideal Dairy in Traverse City, Michigan.

Reaction score
#1 Green bottle. No marks but it has seams and bubbles
#2. Iridescent. Lots of bubbles. Says A.B. Co and B16 on the bottom
#3 This bottle says "This bottle not to be sold". Has the cork. Stamped S.B.&C. Co on bottom
#4. Ideal Dairy Traverse City, Michigan

slugplate

Reaction score
You have, what appears to be, some nice blob tops. Always something to keep. Also, when you clean bottles, make sure you gradually introduce it to temp changes. Do Not bring in from a cold spot and start washing. Take a day or two for them to acclimate to room temp and then wash them in room temp water first. Any additional cleanings should follow the same protocol. I simply use dish detergent, a sponge, copper pellets, and bottle brushes. If the stains have actually tarnished the glass, only a good tumble can take them out... maybe. Lastly, I only hand clean all of my bottles cuz I'm a relative purist when it comes to old bottles. It's a matter of personal taste as to whether or not you want them to look new.

Reaction score
You have, what appears to be, some nice blob tops. Always something to keep. Also, when you clean bottles, make sure you gradually introduce it to temp changes. Do Not bring in from a cold spot and start washing. Take a day or two for them to acclimate to room temp and then wash them in room temp water first. Any additional cleanings should follow the same protocol. I simply use dish detergent, a sponge, copper pellets, and bottle brushes. If the stains have actually tarnished the glass, only a good tumble can take them out... maybe. Lastly, I only hand clean all of my bottles cuz I'm a relative purist when it comes to old bottles. It's a matter of personal taste as to whether or not you want them to look new.

what's a blob top? What are copper pellets and what do they do? What's a tumble? Sorry to be so obtuse.

slugplate

Reaction score
what's a blob top? What are copper pellets and what do they do? What's a tumble? Sorry to be so obtuse.
A blob top is a blob of glass for the lip. It's an unusually shaped lip that is kind of bulbous.

Copper pellets are cut pieces of copper wire about 1/8th of an inch long. If you put them in with soap and water, swirl it around inside the bottle it helps to clean it.

Tumbling is a term used for mechanically rolling the bottle on a machine with copper, cleaning agents, grit, and polish. Not many people have these types of machines, but there are some on here that do.

sandchip

Reaction score
What's a blob top?...

Thought a picture might help.

ells (2).JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's a Pic(S) that shows difference between Blob Top & Crown Top. or for those that want to get more specific a Baltimore Loop & ABM. It looks like you showed me pics of 2 of the 3 bottles I asked about. did not see pic of the blob but seen pic of green bottle instead. curious if the blob has a name on it? LEON.
2Tops.JPG
2TopsNoFlash.JPG
2TopsFlash.JPG

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here's the kinda bottles I collect & looking for. LEON.
MichiganUnionAnnArbor.JPG
MichiganUnionAnnArborCloseup.JPG
AnnArborHutch6.JPG
AnnArbor1.JPG

sandchip

Reaction score
Karen, you might also note that Leon's last two pictures are of a Hutchinson stopper bottle or "Hutch" and not a blob top, since you're new to this and learning. Also, to differentiate between a blob and Baltimore Loop, note that the one Leon showed us has a groove on the inside of the mouth, about halfway down in the top. The tops are also usually a little smaller than the traditional blob tops. On the crowntop, ABM or Automatic Bottle Machine, refers to it being made by machine, not the type top. There are also hand blown crowntops, both tooled and occasionally applied. Hope all this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora