New to collecting and new finds!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

charlotte49er

Reaction score
Not only do I have some new finds, but I am new to bottle collecting.

First, I'm a gold prospector (I own so much prospecting equipment, i had to go and buy a 6' X 10' trailers!)

Second I'm a relic hunter. I own 5 metal detectors, including one underwater one.

3 weeks ago a friend called me and said he knew where there were bout 40 old bottles and that if I wanted them, I'd better hurry, they were going to end up in a land fill!

My vast knowlege of bottles consist of the fact that i used one when I was in diapers and I love them when Diet Mt Dew are gong out of them! But Ihate seeing anything that might be of value end up in a land fill.

So 3 weeks ago I drove the 25-30 miles to pick the bottles up. They were in a storage shed and he said I could help myself.

I met this charming 70+ yo woman who owned the shed. Turns out, my friend didn't lie to me, he just left out certain facts!

Turns out the woman is my friends Grandmother. My friend was supposed to drive up and box the bottles up and take them to the recycle area of the land fill. I told her what he had told me. We both shared a laugh. I felt like Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn!

There about 60 bottles and they ranged from early 50's thru to mid-80's. I broght tham back to my condo and let them soakd for 4 days and started to work on them. MOST of them cleaned up pretty nicely. 2 Days later, I get a call from my friend, asking me what I said to his Grandmother. I was tryig to think back what I said. I didn't think Ii had used any bad language. Turns out, that she thought there were some omre bottles in storage about the garage! (Now, we have had 26+ days here in Charlotte, NC with 90 degree+ heat and 80%+ humidity!!!) That crawlspace was going to be a sweat box!!

So I stopped by the middle of last week and picked up what he had brought down. (There were still some left and now she got her 2 friends involved. I told her I should change my name to "Charlie" and they could be my Angels! [:D])

So here are the cleaned up bottles from 3 weeks ago! (PS: I had the 6-16oz 7Up commemerative bottles)

100_0396.jpg

100_0400.jpg

100_0401.jpg

Then the crawl space bottles from 2 weeks ago.
100_0419.jpg

100_0420.jpg

100_0422.jpg

Saturday, I went up to pick up the final few bottles. The "girls" told me about thie antique store off of Main Street and that I needed to visit there. so I dover downtown and found the place. Cool place. Lots of diverse items for sale. They rent out space and peole can sell what they please (with in reason!) The guys that were there, asked what I was interested in. I said that I had just come from picking up some bottles. One of the guys ask ed me to follow him, since I was interested in bottles. In his shed out back was a pallet full of various sized boxes fill with bottles! he said He'd make me a great offer to it I took the entire pallet! I asked him what was a great offer. He said, $99, I came back with $90 and he said fine!

ss, I have been busy cleaning bottles since Saturday afternoon!

Here's some of Grandmama's and some of the andtque finds. I still have 7 big boxes to go. There are supposed to be some milk bottles in one of the other boxes! These pics are aboutnot quite 1/2 of what I brought home Saturday!

100_0445.jpg

100_0446.jpg

[Image]https://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/everythingelse2/100_0447.jpg[/IMG]
[image)IMG]https://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/everythingelse2/100_0448.jpg[/IMG]
[imageIMG]https://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/everythingelse2/100_0449.jpg[/IMG]

And I also picked up 5 insulators!
100_0439.jpg

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Some people have all of the luck! Nice finds, keep lookin I'm sure you'll get more than u invested out of it!

peejrey

Reaction score
Uhhh...........wow....
Welcome to AB.Net, you'll find many knowledgeable people that can help you out!
Looks like you have good friends and stores, and from which corner of the world dost thou com-est from?

Blackglass

Reaction score
Wow, nice stuff! What does that short green bottle on the far left in the 4th and 5th picture say on it? Does the seem line go over the lip or stop under it? It looks very unusual, I've never seen a bottle quite like that before...

charlotte49er

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Blackglass

Wow, nice stuff! What does that short green bottle on the far left in the 4th and 5th picture say on it? Does the seem line go over the lip or stop under it? It looks very unusual, I've never seen a bottle quite like that before...

Hi All. I live in Charlotte, NC.

There's an oval and inside the oval of the greenbottle it read:

FAIRFIELD COUNTY FAIR *1850 - 125 YEARS - 1976 *

Inside the oval it reads:

CREATE A NEW JOB
BUY YOUR BEVERAGE INA
GLASS CONTAINER

Below the oval:

COMPLIMENTS OF
Anchor Hocking
CONTAINER DIVISION
LANCASTER, OHIO

On the back it reads:

BICENTENNIAL
1776 (Picture of Jefferson) 1976
THOMAS JEFFERSON

Of course the Anchor Hocking logo is on the bottom.

charlotte49er

Reaction score
The way Treasure Seekers International works is that whoever finds the cache gets to keep an equitable aomunt in either product or cash once everything is sold. The remaning money is then split between the members who worked the cache and TSI itself. (For operating costs and to be split among all members at year end. (Profit sharing.) TSI isn't really in the business to hanging on to the cache we find. In thi scase, since I "discoverd" the cache and worked the cache by myself, I'm responsible for everything, included paying TSI it's percentage.

As part of my payment, I'm hanging onto about 50-100 bottles. Mostly soda, some medicine, and some other ocscure or cool bottles. There is a 2 headed Eagle Wine? bottle that would represent Germany, but the writing is in English. A very old Heinz ketchup bottle, a milk bottle, bromo bottle, and about 6-8 more "cool" bottles.

The rest are getting sold on ebay. (I wish I knew of a bottle show close to Charlotte, NC and avoid eBay fleecing, but it is what it is.)

I figured 35 bottle lots. The only reason I came up with 35 bottle lots is that, that is what I had cleaned and room for in the pictures.

Here's where y'all come in!

Here's lot #1, all brown bottles (VERY tough to photograph well!) Mixture of medicine, liquor, Clorox, Texize, beer, Mrs. Butterworth, even some Coffemate & vinegar bottles. I tried to get a mixture.
100_0509.jpg

100_0510.jpg

I have to move the one Clorox bottle, you can't see the other one behind it!

Lot #2, all clear bottles. Mixture of Coke, medicine, drug, Listerine, makeup, Catsup/Ketchup, liquor etc. bottles.
100_0506.jpg

100_0463.jpg

They are have been inspected and any that had cracks or chips out of the bottle was put out in my recycle bin.

OK, 35 bottle lots, what do y'all think about starting off the ebay auctions for $39.95??

Too high? Too Low?? Realistically, I'd like to get $45+ per lot. I don't know if my expectations are too high.

surfaceone

Reaction score
OK, 35 bottle lots, what do y'all think about starting off the ebay auctions for $39.95??

Hello Brian,

Good luck with your endeavors. From what I've seen, that electronic auction place might be the ticket. Perhaps another new collector will be engaged.

Candidly, these last few lots are too recent and un-embossed to be of interest to antique bottle afficionados.

andy-freeberg-guardien-musee-russe-sentinelle-art-04.jpg

charlotte49er

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hello Brian,

Good luck with your endeavors. From what I've seen, that electronic auction place might be the ticket. Perhaps another new collector will be engaged.

Candidly, these last few lots are too recent and un-embossed to be of interest to antique bottle afficionados.

andy-freeberg-guardien-musee-russe-sentinelle-art-04.jpg

I was thinking I need of get more of a mix in there. In the Brown Lot, I only have 3 (2 Clorox - 1 Texize) and all the others, while quite a few of them are marked (Parker-Davis) I need more if a mix. Same for the clear. I could do 2-4, 35 bottle sets of soda bottles very easily from the 50's, 60's & 70's (Maybe a few earlier ones). Maybe start out with them. I still have 5-6 big boxes of bottles to go thru in my van! I also have medicine bottles I could add to the clear.

I'm just running out of room with all these bottles! UGH!!

I appreciate y'all's inputs!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I applaud your enthusiasm. Not everyone can say they've gotten hundreds of bottles in the span of a couple days!

However, I think you'll have a very tough time selling those bottles at all. Most of them are what we bottle collectors call, to put it bluntly, "junk". Anything with a screw cap is usually of no value to collectors. There are exceptions, but I don't see any in your lot there. Anything without embossing or ACL (the painted label) can be recycled without a second thought. Some of the embossed sodas and ACL's in the first few pictures may have value, as may some of the medicines in others. I wish you luck in selling these bottles, but don't get your hopes up too high. Most collectors prefer quality to quantity.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator