New To My Collection (been a long time)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolith

Reaction score
Just got this Hawaiian Hutch today in Hawaii. Never thought I'd own an Hawaiian Hutchinson someday.

s-l1600-17 by photolitherland, on Flickr

s-l1600-16 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Then another bottle I got at the Pittsburgh Bottle Club meeting. A T. Witchell soda bottle from about 1850 with a nice iron pontil.
Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

And a super cool Cumberland MD beer from about 1900.

It seems to aping off the more well known Indianapolis Brewing Co,s bottle with the same imagery, which Ive had for about 14 years.

Last edited:

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Great pictures under lamp light, natural day light and in front of your computer screen. Bottle photography is not easy. Nice bottles also.

photolith

Reaction score
Some ginger beers I have, three are from England. One I found in Canton, OH where I work.

And a attic mint May Drug Co bottle from about 1905 I found while taking photos in an abandoned house in the ghetto of California Kirkbride neighborhood of Pittsburgh last week behind a staircase.

The drug stores location in about 1929 or so in downtown Pittsburgh. And a photo of the same location today. Luckily the Dollar Savings Bank survived on the side street. Note on the bottle how Pittsburgh is spelled Pittsburg. Pittsburgh was spelled without the h at the end from 1890-1911.

3736555c by photolitherland, on Flickr

streetview by photolitherland, on Flickr

On a sidenote, I used to live just two blocks away from this location and had no idea that the May Drug Co building was there. Also, I lived across the street from the very place that the most well known amongst collectors bitters bottles was made; the Dr. J. Hostetters Stomach Bitters. It blew my mind when I found a Dr. Js in an abandoned 1830's building in of all places, Hagerstown, MD a few months ago with a partially intact label. I have a few J Hostetters, never paid much attention to them as they're super common. But I looked at the address on the label and I was like, holy crap I used to live there.

Here's an arcGIS map I look at regularly for historical data. Note the J Hostetters location on the bottom left. In its place today is a horrible ugly modernist 1960's skyscraper and a highway frontage road.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 9.59.31 PM by photolitherland, on Flickr

J Hostetters Bitters Co building would be in the place I highlighted in this photo taken from Mt. Washington from about 1913.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 10.12.53 PM by photolitherland, on Flickr

Hostteters had been in the same location in downtown Pittsburgh since at least 1870, as per this map from 1872.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 10.07.22 PM by photolitherland, on Flickr

Last edited:

photolith

Reaction score
A few other bottles I've recently acquired.

This one was leaking and some of the 120 some odd year old concoction got on my hand. I almost vommed from the smell. I gotta take the cork out and then filter the contents to get the old shitty cork out and then put the contents back in and re-cork it at some point.

The original box

The internal centerfold directions. The rest of the directions once unfolded are in differing European languages.

And a rare unopened bottle of capers from about 1890.

Last edited:

photolith

Reaction score
Also finally after three weeks got my supremely rare Holtzermanns Stomach Bitters, which to my knowledge is this certain labels only extant example. There are many other labeled examples of the Holtzermann's 4 sided cabin but all the other examples are with a dark shaded barrel.

Also got my Hawaiian Hutch in the mail as I didn't want to break it coming back on the plane last week and shipped it to myself here in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice Bottles. Do you have a Dr. Dimocks Tamarac Bitters or Herzbergs Bitters or Newmans Fruit Bitters? LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Great additions, man. So good to see you building your collection after the loss. That Hawaii hutch is killer. I always think of the cover of Cecil Munsey's classic book when I see that bottle. I lived in that book as a teenager and young man until it was in tatters. It taught me so much and steered the direction of what I collect today. That pontiled umbrella is a killer, too.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Good to here you are triumphantly rebuilding your lost collection. Each bottle you get will take a space in the wound until it is filled/healed. ROBBYBOBBY64

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky