New To My Collection (been a long time)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolith

Reaction score
I was in a high end antique store today in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh and saw a bottle type I had never seen before. Took a photo and researched it via various bottle books I have. Found out it was Nailsea Glass from about 1850. I didn't buy the bottle I saw at the store but looked it up on eBay and just bought this beautiful Nailsea double flask from about 1850-1870 or so. Did lots of cross referencing to make sure it wasn't a fake. I also found a neolithic, Banshan phase, Henan (pronounced Hoon An) province, Chinese piece of pottery today in a lot that I plan on bidding for next weekend from about 5k years ago at an estate. I collect both antique bottles and antique Chinese pieces; which happen to be mostly much more valuable that antique bottles. Anyways, here's the Nailsea Piece I got today; along with some other bottles I got today.

s-l1600-1 by photolitherland, on Flickr

s-l1600-2 by photolitherland, on Flickr

I also got this Hardens Fire Grenade from about 1885 or so.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flick

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Said new Hardens on the right next to the other Hardens Fire Grenade I have.

Also got this Doyles Hop Bitters from about 1880; which is very common and not worth much but still, I have loads of bitters and just never saw one for a decent price and got it for 5 bucks.

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
The gemel flask is a beauty. Can't say that I've seen one with a footed base before. Very nice additions!

Rabajohn

Reaction score
I was in a high end antique store today in Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh and saw a bottle type I had never seen before. Took a photo and researched it via various bottle books I have. Found out it was Nailsea Glass from about 1850. I didn't buy the bottle I saw at the store but looked it up on eBay and just bought this beautiful Nailsea double flask from about 1850-1870 or so. Did lots of cross referencing to make sure it wasn't a fake. I also found a neolithic, Banshan phase, Henan (pronounced Hoon An) province, Chinese piece of pottery today in a lot that I plan on bidding for next weekend from about 5k years ago at an estate. I collect both antique bottles and antique Chinese pieces; which happen to be mostly much more valuable that antique bottles. Anyways, here's the Nailsea Piece I got today; along with some other bottles I got today.

s-l1600-1 by photolitherland, on Flickr

s-l1600-2 by photolitherland, on Flickr

I also got this Hardens Fire Grenade from about 1885 or so.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flick

Said new Hardens on the right next to the other Hardens Fire Grenade I have.

Also got this Doyles Hop Bitters from about 1880; which is very common and not worth much but still, I have loads of bitters and just never saw one for a decent price and got it for 5 bucks.

Love all of your items but the thing that really is cool to me is the hanging wire still on the neck of the hand grenade on the left of your photo. Made me think about someone having hung the grenade (as well as many others) in a strategic spot in a 19th century home. Near the kitchen stove, fireplaces, etc.. Thank you for posting them all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yacorie

Reaction score
You’ve been posting some great bottles. Love the Nailsea - I’ve been thinking of picking up a few pieces myself.

Flasks

Reaction score
That's one of the finest Hutchinsons that I've ever seen. I'm glad you're back at it and back with us. It really tears you up inside to lose stuff like that. I suffered the same sort of thing back in September, a quarter of my collection, a third of its value, gone in a split second, bottles that can never be replaced because some of them were the only known examples. It put me in the middle of a tug-of-war between my worldly and spiritual sides. I look at the loss and get in this funk, then I start counting my blessings, things that no amount of money could ever replace, my wife, kids, arms, legs, eyes and on and on. Then, there's the survivors. Another pile of miracles, because it could've been way, way worse. What's tough is that I'll never throw away the pieces because they were so rare and important, but then I have the reminders of the catastrophe to keep knocking off the scab. Just know that there's somebody out here that can sympathize with you, for what little that might be worth.

Now, back to bottles: I'd love to see more pictures of that decanter in the back!
We're only momentary caretakers, sometimes shorter than we'd like..

photolith

Reaction score
Totally forgot I had even bid on this, thinking Id never win, but got a notification today my bid won. Another Hawaiian bottle. Might be my last purchase for a long time seeing as everything is going to shit in the past week. My company lost 30% of it stock worth today and with OPEC screwing over the oil and gas industry again like in 2014, its not looking good at all. Will probably have to end up living in a slum encampment after today after all this ridiculous Coronavirus scare and OPEC Russia bs.

Last edited:

photolith

Reaction score
Got both of the above bottles in the mail today and then went to the Pittsburgh Bottle Club Meeting and got a semi local hard to find small town PA Hutch.

The Hawaii Whiskey in epic attic mint condition

The Nailsea Flask is much beefier than I expected and much prettier in person than photos do it justice. Just arrived today from England, where I suspect it has never left since about 1860.

It has some beautiful artistic detailing going up the middle between the bifurcations between the two separated flasks of which the bottle is comprised.

The local Brookville, PA Hutchinson, needs a little bit of interior cleaning and will look real nice soon.

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
Love your hutch. Mine is beat up a bit.

Attachments

• 20200313_170126.jpg
    20200313_170126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 227

photolith

Reaction score
While people were shoving and pushing each other over toilet paper today I went to an estate sale and got a nice pontiled 1850s Cincy ink and dug up a odd enclave of German swirl marbles this week too.

Attachments

• 2F4E4CBC-1F66-4627-A825-E1ADA8CFAF5F.jpeg
    2F4E4CBC-1F66-4627-A825-E1ADA8CFAF5F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 5077D4BD-CB58-4B70-B73C-8139E1AC461C.jpeg
    5077D4BD-CB58-4B70-B73C-8139E1AC461C.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 170D1745-ED37-4381-A8FA-E23EAB2C34CD.jpeg
    170D1745-ED37-4381-A8FA-E23EAB2C34CD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 251
  • 69853787-5DC7-436F-ABAB-B5D17EB323FF.jpeg
    69853787-5DC7-436F-ABAB-B5D17EB323FF.jpeg