New to this cool hobby - north NJ

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
There once was a historic 1700s Mandeville home in Pompton Plains NJ. By 1900 it had become the Mandeville Inn. It was a high-end place; it survived Prohibition (guess how?) but not the Depression. Like many hotels, they buried their trash. And I'm in two groups who have teamed up to unearth it.

Saturdays have found us tunneling into a stretch of the trash dump dating from about 1900 to 1920-ish. So many intact bottles! (And other cool stuff, like the tableware pieces, intact Edison lamp, roadside signs, expensive camera lens, mouthwash bottle with its preserved contents, and the 1899 carbide bicycle lamp.)

That's my intro. Now I am slowly ID'ing the bottles & other stuff so I can put together the tale of the all-but-forgotten Mandeville Inn. All help is appreciated!

Attachments

• ECRDA Mand open house finds 3.jpg
    ECRDA Mand open house finds 3.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 214

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Looks like you're making some great finds there! Not sure how much you know already, so I can give a quick overview of what you've found. On the table to the left the bottles with short necks are called Hutchinson bottles, they were mostly (maybe entirely?) used for soda. Below are probably beer bottles, or maybe soda. To the right are whiskey flasks.
The green standing bottle in the centre is likely a mineral water or maybe a bitters, they're often embossed on the base which should give you more info and tend to come from Europe. The one with the indentations looks like a Haig whisky bottle but not sure they were using that design that far back.
The blue one is a poison bottle (in the sense of having poisonous contents, not of containing something actually intended for poisoning people or animals - it likely contained iodine or something similar).
Three in One you probably know, it's still a common product today. The one with the ring neck next to the teeth and breath bottle is probably a flavouring extract bottle. The broken neck with the stopper is from a champagne bottle. The pharmacist bottle with the address was from a local drug store and would be used for prescriptions.

I really like that Carter's master ink, never seen one of those before even though Carter's inks are everywhere. It would have been used to refill desktop inkwells.

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Looks like you're making some great finds there! Not sure how much you know already, so I can give a quick overview of what you've found. On the table to the left the bottles with short necks are called Hutchinson bottles, they were mostly (maybe entirely?) used for soda. Below are probably beer bottles, or maybe soda. To the right are whiskey flasks.
The green standing bottle in the centre is likely a mineral water or maybe a bitters, they're often embossed on the base which should give you more info and tend to come from Europe. The one with the indentations looks like a Haig whisky bottle but not sure they were using that design that far back.
The blue one is a poison bottle (in the sense of having poisonous contents, not of containing something actually intended for poisoning people or animals - it likely contained iodine or something similar).
Three in One you probably know, it's still a common product today. The one with the ring neck next to the teeth and breath bottle is probably a flavouring extract bottle. The broken neck with the stopper is from a champagne bottle. The pharmacist bottle with the address was from a local drug store and would be used for prescriptions.

I really like that Carter's master ink, never seen one of those before even though Carter's inks are everywhere. It would have been used to refill desktop inkwells.
As you just found out there's going to be someone willing answer questions. And good luck trying to stump some of them. Welcome.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
There once was a historic 1700s Mandeville home in Pompton Plains NJ. By 1900 it had become the Mandeville Inn. It was a high-end place; it survived Prohibition (guess how?) but not the Depression. Like many hotels, they buried their trash. And I'm in two groups who have teamed up to unearth it.

Saturdays have found us tunneling into a stretch of the trash dump dating from about 1900 to 1920-ish. So many intact bottles! (And other cool stuff, like the tableware pieces, intact Edison lamp, roadside signs, expensive camera lens, mouthwash bottle with its preserved contents, and the 1899 carbide bicycle lamp.)

That's my intro. Now I am slowly ID'ing the bottles & other stuff so I can put together the tale of the all-but-forgotten Mandeville Inn. All help is appreciated!
I love the stuff you are pulling. All local to me also. PON is pride of Newark. Common bottles. Wish I could see the sodas a little better. I agree on the carters. Nice jug. Thanks for posting your archeological dig pictures.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

willong

Reaction score
Wow! I am envious, but still looking forward to photos of your finds!

butchndad

Reaction score

Wow! and welcome from Jersey City

epackage

Reaction score
Loving the Paterson NJ hutches and blobs I THINK I see, that's what I collect, would love for you to pics of all the NJ blobs, hutches and medicines. Hope it remains fruitful... Jim

Reaction score
I'm back, finally, sorry for not checking in sooner (life issues). We collected over 400 intact bottles from that Mandeville Inn "kitchen midden" dig, Apparently finding a high percentage of intact bottles is unusual. We took a year off and will continue again at some point this year.

I did post lots of photos on Facebook. Among my favorites is a J.A. Gilka, "Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root Kidney Liver & Bladder Cure", and a Warner Safe Cure. Those two let us date our trench to 1905 or before. This photo pans right from the above one. Many more at the link.

Attachments

• 1680713874159.png
    1680713874159.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 61

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu