New today / Cistern questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
Brian,

Glad to hear you haven't given up.I regret not being able to get down that way and don't think I will be able to anytime soon.I believe there is a forum member here named Rob Davis that is from down that way and I think digs privies.You could also get a hold of Eddie Brater of Eddie's Privy Page.He is a good guy and I am sure he would welcome a dig on an old lot in Cincy.Good luck,Doug

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Wow, It sure is very nice to offer up a dig. Most everyone on this site seems to be respectful and on the up and up. If it was me....I always say....you have to dig it to find out. I suggest you let a experianced digger help you out. He will be able to help you with dateing materials comming out, safty issues etc. I think no matter what age of materials come out of the hole make a difference. Its something you coulld keep as a collection for future owners of the house. You never know whats in the bottom. I dug a great 1840's piece of stoneware out of an 1890's hole.

It would be great to actually have something in your hand that the prior occupant might have held over a hundred years a go. I say DIGGIT!!!!!!

druggistnut

Reaction score
a porcelain thing shaped like a mug without a handle that has a coil in the bottom and a hole for a cord? ideas?

Brian,
That sounds like a baby bottle heater. I think every one I have found has been pink, green, blue or yellow.
As far as the two pipes- could they be old clothes line poles? I'd check to see if they are set in cement. Maybe someone just broke them off where they rusted.
Bill

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

and yes it's a baby bottle warmer -

I will be down in cincy tomorrow and if it's not too hot I dig around a bit and this time I'm taking the camera.

have a great weekend - I really DIG the beendiggin before work thread and the 5 dollar gold piece in the iother thread is something I would never sell!!!! wow.

Reaction score
and no the pipes are not broken and go about two feet up with a small tree between them but we are no longer interested in them and as you can see have gone into the cistern slowly but making some progress - very wet - found a few marbles buttons many many bottles but later - a medicine dropper - an amber lid for a canning jar - a stopper or two and a few other knick knacks - - and we have not yet cleared all of the construction debris - I hope to have some more done this weekend - if there's anybody in the area who wants to help or stop by and offer an opinion or two ping me - I still think there's a privy back there somewhere - and some nice coins in the dirt - the cistern is for certain untouched. (I cleared out some large roots to get in there)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp