new tumbler & questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, have my new tumbler and need some help. i have been cleaning some old beer bottles and mason jars. the mason jars are coming out great, but the beer bottles still have some deep scraches. i tumble on high for 4 days. would additional tumbling help or are the scraches to deep to get out? thanks for any help, rhona

Mk26786.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26786.jpg
    Mk26786.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 92

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Rhona, Try slower speed longer time or maybe a courser cutting abrasive and check daily daily. Sometime scratches can be so deep that getting them out would remove to much detail and ruin the bottle. Looks like your doing a nice job though.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that to eliminate a scratch you would have to cut the depth of the scratch off the height of the embossing. not always worth it in my opinion.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi all, thanks for the advice. i'm going to try cuting for 3 more days and if not any better thats it. can you take a bottle out and check it and but it back in the same solution or do you have to clean the copper and start over again? thanks again for the help, rhona

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
You have to clean everything and start the process all over again Rhona. It can be a pain. If you are using 1200 grit cutter, 7 days won't hurt anything. 600 grit is another story. In fact, I wouldn't use 600 grit on anything with embossment. You can polish for as long as you want. I usually polish for about 4 days after I have cut it. Hope this helps, Kelley

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Rhona nice machine![;)]Here is a trick that works quite nicely... take a 400 to 600 fine grit emery paper hand sand out the "flaw", then use the 1200 silicon cutter... tumble for 4 to 5 days..... then polish works like a charm on scratches, lip chips etc.. The resulting finish on the flaw will look factory. My customers have been tickled with the results! Taz

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Taz, you come up with a way to tumble a turtle ink yet? I thought about tapeing over the burst top lip and just using a base stopple on both top and bottom. I just hate to try something new on the only turtle I've got. I believe it is a pretty scarce ink. Kelley

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Kelley, Try a couple thick coats of finger nail polish on the sheared area of a test bottle first . I've had good results with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora