New Yard Sale Finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I normally never find anything old at yard sales, but got lucky this time. I do believe it’s Canadian. The bottle says America Dry of Canada co. As for a makers mark, it’s an capital A with the word Dry under it and a empty triangle under that. I still haven’t found any information on it, but still looking.

for sure Canadian if it says America dry of Canada co . that wording wouldn't of been used on bottles from the states or anywhere else .

not sure of the exact year America dry started being bottled in Canada but its likely from there earlier years based on design/look

mrosman

Reaction score
Hi Johnnycrush.... the absolute authority on Quebec soda bottles is Johnny Dufresne... he has the most fantastic collection you can imagine, filling a barn!! I am sure he can help you on the Gurds, Amico etc... He is writing a book on these.... his email johncdufresne@gmail.com Use my name, Michael and remind him that I liked Orange Crush.. good luck.

willong

Reaction score
My own interest in bottles, empty ones at least, was spurred by the notion that the antique ones were individually hand-crafted in a less sophisticated era. The outrageous claims and the variety of fanciful product names combined with inventive shapes and embossing furthered that interest.

Though not handmade, the Art Deco sodas certainly tick the latter boxes for me. In my opinion, they are eye candy!

Thanks for sharing!

SKS.TUSC

Reaction score
I normally don’t find anything at yard sales, but made up for it yesterday. Picked up quite a few interesting bottles at really reasonable price.
Small Javex bottle
Art Deco bottles,
61/2oz green Vess dry
7 oz America Dry
10 oz Shorty Beverages of Toronto
2-10oz kist (one slightly different)
Some Mae West orange crush which are condition upgrades of what I have all ready
30oz Amico Quality Beverages bottled out of Quebec.
30oz paper label Gurd’s kola-dry
The bottom reads Charles gurd & co, Montreal.
I have seen many Gurds ginger ale bottles and a few other flavours, but not kola-dry. From what I have researched it’s from the late 20’s. I paper is not in the greatest shape.
Any more information or Value on this bottle would be Great.
Hope you enjoyed my finds!!View attachment 227860
This past weekend I found 2 yard sales that led me to some awesome insulators, Avon glass pieces & old bottles. It was like it was meant to be yard selling type of day & I nvr go yard selling. And both places the guys told me of old dump sites & places to look for bottles plus where old bottling companies use to be. I was shocked to say the least. They were happy to tell me. One of the old guys was shocked that I asked if he had old bottles which he didn't have out, but took me to his garages loft & he said, " You are the first person in all my years of holding garage sales who has asked if I had old bottles & you are a young pup!" At 41 I guess I am hahaha. It was a good day out. I brought home some great glass & both guys told me of many places to look. They respected my deep interest & were shocked I knew a lot about collecting as well. I'm going back Friday & buying a box of insulators off one of the guys. I think I'm going to do more yard selling hahaha

Jonnycrush

Reaction score
Hi Johnnycrush.... the absolute authority on Quebec soda bottles is Johnny Dufresne... he has the most fantastic collection you can imagine, filling a barn!! I am sure he can help you on the Gurds, Amico etc... He is writing a book on these.... his email johncdufresne@gmail.com Use my name, Michael and remind him that I liked Orange Crush.. good luck.
Hello Michael, Thanks for that contact. I will definitely reach out to Johnny for some information about these Quebec sodas.

Jonnycrush

Reaction score
This past weekend I found 2 yard sales that led me to some awesome insulators, Avon glass pieces & old bottles. It was like it was meant to be yard selling type of day & I nvr go yard selling. And both places the guys told me of old dump sites & places to look for bottles plus where old bottling companies use to be. I was shocked to say the least. They were happy to tell me. One of the old guys was shocked that I asked if he had old bottles which he didn't have out, but took me to his garages loft & he said, " You are the first person in all my years of holding garage sales who has asked if I had old bottles & you are a young pup!" At 41 I guess I am hahaha. It was a good day out. I brought home some great glass & both guys told me of many places to look. They respected my deep interest & were shocked I knew a lot about collecting as well. I'm going back Friday & buying a box of insulators off one of the guys. I think I'm going to do more yard selling hahaha
Hi SKS.TUSC…That’s awesome that you made contacts like that a yard sale of all places. I’m think they were very appreciative of someone that took a great deal of interest of one of there passions, especially being a young pup lol. I to being a young pup(39) don’t meet to many younger than I that are interested or care about old antiques/bottles etc. I hope my luck for yard sales continue as I plan to stop at a few this weekend.

mrosman

Reaction score
Hi JohnnyCrush.... did you ever reach John Dufresne? If you did, would like to know if you got great help. Michael

Jonnycrush

Reaction score
Hi JohnnyCrush.... did you ever reach John Dufresne? If you did, would like to know if you got great help. Michael
Hi Michael,
I just reached out to John Dufresene the other day and when I hear back from him I will let you know.
John

Jonnycrush

Reaction score
Hi Michael,
I just reached out to John Dufresene the other day and when I hear back from him I will let you know.
John
Hi Michael,
Been in contact with John this weekend, not long after I posted the last message. He had some great information.
The amico bottle is from the 50-60’s and is very common in his area.
The history of the gurds company dates back to the 1800. Which I found quite amazing. It’s an uncommon bottle for sure. We are actually in the process of make a trade for the Gurds bottle.
Thanks for that contact, very much appreciated
Regards John

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum